DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really a practical transportation project idea but more of a learning project idea. I got a Honda 2200 generator recently because of a hurricane. That pretty much ate up all my project money for the next while. The generator puts out AC ( 120V 2200W max. (18.3A), 1800W rated (15A) ) and a small amount of DC (12 v 100w 8.3A) I was thinking about getting a small motorcycle (like a Honda Rebel) with a blown engine and pulling the engine and replacing it with a motor and a mount for the generator and maybe two 12v deep cycle batteries. I was thinking that I could also add a front wheel hub motor.

My idea is that I could have a mid-mount ("crank-drive" if it were a bicycle) AC motor that mostly just ran at cruising speed (20mph or whatever that might be) off of the generator and a DC front wheel hub motor that runs off of the batteries for acceleration (just to get to cruising speed, pretty much). I could use the DC output to trickle charge the batteries (or just add a small AC to DC charger).

Since I don't have a lot of money and I'm just doing this to learn and experiment, I was thinking I could recycle some kind of AC motor used around the house or shop, like a washing machine motor or something. It doesn't have to last forever or drive for very long.

I'm also thinking of trying out the idea with a bicycle first, avoiding dealing with the transmission on a motorcycle. Does anyone have any practical input?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts