DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a silly question/thought, but something that has been mulling around in the back of my mind for a while now...

Besides the major automotive manufacturer hatred of anything that will take away their parts supply business, how come I haven't seen any EVs that have a built-in gasoline/diesel generator?

I've seen lots of hybrids, but you still have issues with multiple motors and strange drive-train connections. It seems to me that it would be a lot better to have a pure electric setup, and then install a small generator to recharge the batteries on-the-fly if driving long distances. This is assuming, of course, that a small portable generator could produce enough energy to keep the car running with enough left over to start recharging the batteries at least a little.

:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Mr. Sharky, for the information... I haven't even thought about power conversion loss and such, but then I'm also quite new to the subject as well. :)

And I completely agree with your dislike of the Prius / Civic / Insight. In fact, I'm still fuming over the American version of the Smart ForTwo. The European version (gasoline) gets about 60 MPG (almost 70 for the diesel versions), which is better then most so-called hybrids currently out on the market. And now that they are FINALLY bringing them over for Americans (instead of us having to buy them through ZAP), they've reworked the engine "because Americans just want more power."

End result?

40 MPG. :mad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts