DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been asked to help out some 3rd year mechanical engineering students with an EV conversion they are doing as a final project.
They have connected the motor to the drive of the car but with only a few weeks left, they are running out of time to get the motor working properly. They purchased a controller from Paul Holmes but I'm not sure if they got all the leads when they were given the motor to get it working.
My question is, can the Leaf motor be connected directly to 400V 3 phase mains supply through a industrial inverter and the motor run just for demonstration purposes. The inverter would be set at a very low frequency.
I don't now a lot about a leaf motor but I think it is a 3 phase motor. I just wonder, what voltage levels it runs at?
Thanking you for any help offered.
Frank Mulrennan

·
Registered
329 Posts
Paul's control board works very well for a Leaf motor. Getting it running shouldn't be too much of a challenge for them as long as they have a functional motor and inverter. What seems to be missing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul's control board works very well for a Leaf motor. Getting it running shouldn't be too much of a challenge for them as long as they have a functional motor and inverter. What seems to be missing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using
Tapatalk
I’m hoping that you are Jeffe Black. After writing this post I came across your page giving details of the Pinout on Paul’s card. It was a great help.
From what I can make out, all you need is the resolver connections on J6 and the reference speed on J5. I wasn’t sure what else needed to be connected to Paul’s card.
I saw the leaf motor last week for the first time for only about an hour, I know that I need to see it again to find the resolver connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts