DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm involved in a project where we're converting a diesel boat to electric. All the electronics and the motor work on the bench, no questions there. My main task in this is getting the data about the rpm, power and everything else from the Curtis 1236 controller, into a raspberry pi. I'm having trouble where to start. What pins on the controller and pi should connect, is something between necessary, what software do I need? Say I want to log the rpm to a file every second, as a start. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I'm waiting for the HAT to arrive, I'd like to make sure I understand the wiring between it and the controller. Page 22 of the controller manual is about CAN wiring.
1: Is it correct to connect pin 21 (CAN Term H) and 34 (CAN Term L) on the controller together with short wires? If yes, what does this accomplish? Enabling CAN?
2: Pin 23 (CANH) and 35 (CANL) correspond nicely with the CANH and CANL shown on the HAT here:

Just connect pin 23 to CANH and 35 to CANL? Anything else I should connect?

Thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again!
There has been some progress. I could not make the HAT work, so I also bought a USB CAN adapter. I like this better, as I can try it out on my laptop (also with Linux) before involving the Pi.

We had some wiring to do. The AmpSeal plug for the controller did not have any CAN wires, so I had to order the pins, wire them up and get them in there according to the manual. A lot of time spent on waiting for packages,

Today, we started actually trying to read something from the CANL and CANH. But first, we checked the resistance of the CANL and CANH from the controller when everything was powered off, 120 Ohms. And when connected to the USB CAN adapter, 60 Ohms. so far so good. We then turned the rig on and measured the voltage across ground (battery minus) and CANH. 2.8V. And across ground and CANL, 2.1V. We used a (high quality) voltmeter, so these would be averages. But since it's not 2.5V, it's a good sign right? 2.5V would mean no messages, if I understand the canbus correctly.

So I connected the adapter and I think the problem lies here. I struggle to find a guide specific to the adapter I purchased, so I can only try various guides. Most of them say roughly the same things. I tried this one. I could skip step 2, the rest went through without errors. But the candump said nothing, and ifconfig said no packets were received. This is where I'm stuck. I tried a few CAN speeds, still nothing.

What should I try next?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello again!
I've been trying a lot with slcand, ip, ifconfig and such on my computer with the motor running slowly and the CANbus seemingly correctly connected. Whatever I try, nothing comes out. There are those CAN speeds (-s1 (20kbps) to -s6 (500kbps)), whether or not it is can or vcan, and maybe more variables I'm not aware of. I've tried all the CAN speeds. My USB-CAN adapter has an "ACT" LED, I assume this stands for activity. This lights a solid orange/red.

I'm starting to suspect the controller does not send CAN signals at all. The controller was pulled from a G-Wiz/REVAi which did not use the CAN interface, so I would not be surprised if CAN is turned off in the controller. As far as I know, the only way to enable it is to buy the 1313 or 1314, which cost hundreds of dollars. Is this the case?

I'm also looking at the Curtis 840. I still want the data into my own computer, but the 840 points to the fact that the serial connection also can give me the information I want. If this is the route to go, can you guys point me to how I can read and parse the serial data from the Curtis 1236 on a computer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.