DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live right outside Boston and my house does not have an indoor garage to work on my EV conversion for when it rains/snows. However the house I live in does accommodate up to 4 cars (2 x 2).

Are there any preferred places to work on an EV conversion? If I were to get a drive-up storage space, would they allow me to work on a car inside the space I rent out?

Are there any other options I should consider? Car tents? Neighbors? Places that rent out shop space?

·
Registered
511 Posts
You'd probably have to check with who you rented the garage space from as to whether you could work on the car in that space or not. Keep in mind you will also need room to get around the car (probably on your belly or back) and jack the car up, and some overhead to open the hood, lift things out, etc. You may find it hard to get clearance to do that work in a rented garage, so I'd take a measuring tape before putting down any money.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For my car the motor had to go in from underneath, that had people on both sides and behind the car (rear engined car), but that was a couple of hours that could have been done outdoors.

Here's a random thought: try to first get the motor, a contactor, and a battery or two installed. Then you can drive the car in and out of the garage to make extra room for making battery boxes, cables, etc. It's also a great motivational boost when the car moves under its own power. :cool:
I live right outside Boston and my house does not have an indoor garage to work on my EV conversion for when it rains/snows. However the house I live in does accommodate up to 4 cars (2 x 2).

Are there any preferred places to work on an EV conversion? If I were to get a drive-up storage space, would they allow me to work on a car inside the space I rent out?

Are there any other options I should consider? Car tents? Neighbors? Places that rent out shop space?

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
I have the same sort of problem too.

My drive holds seven cars if I pack them in. I currently have two cars, two trailers, a pile of building materials and a pile of logs.
What I don't have is a garage of any sort.

My contruction currently takes place either inside one of my trailers (52" wide, 42" high and 10' long) or in a basement workshop accessed by a tight enclosed staircase though the house.

My plan for building my trike is to build a temporary car port, six poles set in the ground with some corregated clear plastic roof sheets over the top and maybe part way down one side and one end to keep out some of the driving rain. A tarpaulin will be used to cover the part built trike.
I will have to make up parts in the workshop and then bring them up but I am not sure if I can physically get the chassis up the stairs yet so that may be made in parts for welding outside.

I have a friend who is restoring a car and has also made a temporary car port but it is more like a marquee as it is all tarpaulins and sticks. It flaps a lot when the wind blows and the tarps will puddle water and then leak.
He has a garage though but it is full of workshop tools and animal feed for his dozens of rabbits and two goats.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have a 600 sq.ft. garage but it is full of machinery, and not heated or air conditioned. I found it WELL WORTHWHILE to enroll in an auto collision repair course in my local Community College, so much so that I am now in my second semester.

For the price of tuition, I enjoy 4.5 hours of shop time, 4 mornings a week (there is also an evening class which I have crashed a couple of times). The shop is large giving me all the room I need; heated and air conditioned (We had some 104 F days here in Colo this summer); equipped with things I do not have like aluminum welders, lifts, plasma cutters and spare parts off other cars; qualified instructors when I run into problems; and plenty of strong students eager to help when I lifted/ replaced the body of my kit car.

So what is the cost? With my senior citizen and state resident discounts, I paid less than $1600 from mid May until mid Dec. It could be worth your while to see if you can do something similar. I had to make special arrangements with the dept. head in order to not attend classes, take tests, etc. but I am a registered student and will get a grade. I hope I pass.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If I were to get a drive-up storage space, would they allow me to work on a car inside the space I rent out?
look around for a closed car dealership or other warehouse space with an overhead door... and ask the landlord if you can get a short-term rental for 3 or 6 months. Leverage a good price for all the press you'll get and possible traffic finding out about the location. Make it a high-school 'mentor' program, and you might even get parents help pay for it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts