1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although the armature could withstand higher, I'd limit application to 6000 RPM Max and like 4000 crusing. It probably will do 100 to 125 Amps continuously when well ventilated with tolerance for bursts of up to maybe 800 Amps peak on accelerations. Looks like a nice motor.

major
You think this could push 2500lbs of car 20mph?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Although the armature could withstand higher, I'd limit application to 6000 RPM Max and like 4000 crusing. It probably will do 100 to 125 Amps continuously when well ventilated with tolerance for bursts of up to maybe 800 Amps peak on accelerations. Looks like a nice motor.

major
It is a DC motor, right ? So 3kW = 36v x 83A. For more power output it probably is better to bump the voltage, not the amps. Additionally, given it's a purpose-built motor for a forklift, I wouldn't be surprised if the max RPMs are around 3000.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It is a DC motor, right ? So 3kW = 36v x 83A. For more power output it probably is better to bump the voltage, not the amps. Additionally, given it's a purpose-built motor for a forklift, I wouldn't be surprised if the max RPMs are around 3000.
Hi cricket,

I'm familiar with these types of forklift motors. Yes, obviously it is a commutator DC motor, undoubtedly series wound. The 3kW rating refers to output power, so your current calculation is low. It may be purpose built for the Hyster truck, but GE will have used components and processes manufacturing it common to the product line which I'm sure will support my RPM values. I've analyzed a number of their products of this type.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hi cricket,

I'm familiar with these types of forklift motors. Yes, obviously it is a commutator DC motor, undoubtedly series wound. The 3kW rating refers to output power, so your current calculation is low. It may be purpose built for the Hyster truck, but GE will have used components and processes manufacturing it common to the product line which I'm sure will support my RPM values. I've analyzed a number of their products of this type.

Regards,

major
Very cool, thank you for elaborating on it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.