DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I'm trying to do since a few months. In Holland it's going to cost me over 15.000 euro only to get the EMC certificates. And there is more after that. But that 15.000 euro is already to much for me.

People say in other EU countries the EMC issue is less imporant, but nobody an tell me which countries that are. Who knows in wich EU country getting your build street legal is still possible for a reasonable amount of money?

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Poland that was quite easy till about year ago, right now - forget it, this is so complex and expensive as you wirite is in Holland... I would try Germany or Czech Republic... so i've heard.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Germany is also lost to the dark side of the EU (over)regulations. That's what I'm told. If anyone knows otherwise, I would like to know.

I'll try to find more about the Czech republic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jan,

I'm from the Netherlands too, just joined this community.

Have you already bought a motor/controller?

If not: there's a Dutch company which sells motor/controller combinations with a certificate. I'm planning to use a set for my conversion project for exactly this reason.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my project is finished. Everything works fine, just a minor bug here and there.
My components are also certified by someone else. But that someone else wants to solve his money problems over my back. Also something I'm not willing to do.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My components are also certified by someone else. But that someone else wants to solve his money problems over my back. Also something I'm not willing to do.
Talk to the folks at New Electric who may have some ideas to share... I would have thought it was illegal to sell you the EV component parts in The NL without the documents to prove they are CE marked... maybe you could try talking to your enforcement authorities and use that to 'persuade' the vendor to help you?

afaik the UK is not currently enforcing EMC compliance for the EV drivetrain when used for low volume conversions... maybe you could investigate the possibility of registering your car in the UK? Indra might provide some consultancy to help you with that?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kevin. I'll give Indra a try.

Riba, could you please give me a website for more information?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be damned! I tought the Azure Dynamics went bankrupt before a car was sold in Europe. I was wrong:

https://www.autotrack.nl/tweedehands/ford/transit-connect/35250176

There's even a nice picture of the DMOC645. And it has a type registration number!

So this rule should be applied to us, hobbyists in the Netherlands:

"bij een niet-seriematig vervaardigd voertuig wordt aangetoond dat de toegepaste elektronische componenten (ESA’s) voldoen aan het gestelde in bijlage VII tot en met X van de in de Richtlijn gestelde eisen, danwel ** deze componenten eerder in een ander reeds goedgekeurd voertuigtype is toegepast. **"

It says that if the used components are from a type registrered car, than EMC certificates are not needed.

I'll have to wait another 2 weeks for an answer of the RDW.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks Kevin. I'll give Indra a try.

Riba, could you please give me a website for more information?

Here is the webpage:

https://www.cvh.hr/company-profile

https://www.cvh.hr/ispitivanje/

But don't worry, there isn't any info about homologating EV's :)
You would need to call them and hope that someone can speak good English.

Actually you don't do full homologation, just "atest", basically the same thing you would do if you were replacing engines eg. from gasoline to diesel engines. With some extra rules of course, of which I have assembled a list, or let's say an unofficial atest guide :) It's on Croatian, but if you decide to do it I can translate it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Riba,

As you can read, I found a last straw. If it fails again I'll be back.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still trying to beat the system.

The first response of the Dutch RDW on my last straw was:

"Good for you, you found a valid certificationnumber that might include your components. But we do not keep track of what a certification contains. That's up to the producer/factory. It can even change in time and that's all up to the manufacturer. So, as long you can not provide the content of the certification, you've got nothing."

Yes, I was just as surprised. The RDW certifies, but as soon you are certified you can do whatever you like. Strange.

So, I went to the garage where the Azure Dynamics Ford Transit that was for sale is located, and took pictures of the labels on the motor and inverter. As I expected they where the same as I have.

And in response of those pictures I have been assigned to a real person. A keurmeester called in Dutch. Literally translated an Inspectormaster.

It looks like I have taken a barrier. But I'm not sure yet.

Patience...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jan,
just joined here and I am expecting the same or worse red tape for my proposed build in Portugal.............seems the EU have their own rules but each individual member state can decide how they interpret them, the Uk for example seems to be straight forward, check out EV Classics who are doing this right now in Wales, all road legal.
I am still trying to figure out where I start in Portugal, links within the IMT the transport ministry do not work and take me to an unregistered domain, forums there have guys saying they have done it and are 100% legal but do not say how they did it, others say there is ONLY one engineer within the ministry technical inspections dept that deals with this and only have telephone contact which he hardy ever answers..............so lets see, I will be trying and sending in updates, will probably put them on here as your thread is specific to Europe, best of luck to us all:rolleyes:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Pork,

You know that importing a road legal car from one eu country to the other should be a formality? That's also a eu regulation.

But countries add sometimes some rules themselves. In my case the Dutch RDW has the right to do additional inspections on an imported vehicle if it's older than 25 years. It is not clear what that really means. And mine is even older than 40 years...

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jan, I was not referring to import rules, but specifically to your post on getting an EV conversion registered and legal, imports are a completely different subject and Portugal is already guilty of breaking EU rules on even newish cars being imported as they tax them at different rates to national cars, which is totally against the EU rules of free movement of goods and people, they have been fined but do not change their stance, guess it is cheaper to pay the fine than lose the monopoly they have on car sales, even second hand.
The question remains, did you manage to legalise your EV conversion in Holland, last post was they said you had an inspector allocated to your case.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts