DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird problem... I just finished getting the car put back together after building a new pack, adding AC, power steering and upgrading the charger to the EMotorWerks MiniSmartCharge 12K. The EVSE reports a GFCI fault if I I have the battery connected to the Soliton1. If I disconnect it, it charges fine. It never did that before I rebuilt everything. I also previously used the regular SmartCharge 12K.

With the battery connected to the Soliton1, I can measure negative pack voltage from chassis GND to pack-. It would seem to indicate that pack+ is shorted to chassis somewhere... But when I disconnect the Soliton1, the apparent short goes away. I've traced everything I can and there is no short anywhere else. Does the Soliton1 PGND or SGND need to be isolated?

When not charging and the Soliton1 connected as normal, the car drives fine.

Any ideas?

· Registered
2,049 Posts
Attempting to blow away cobwebs: sground and pground should be isolated. You don't want pground floating on the chassis.

I am pretty sure they are done that way internally, but since old age has come upon my Sol1, it exhibits odd things.

· Administrator
6,607 Posts
I don't think this can apply to a Soliton
but when I built my Paul & Sabrina controller I had a single MOSFET fail
The controller worked fine - but it gave a leakage to earth
All my fault - how many IBGT's in the Soliton - maybe one has died?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.