DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently acquired a go kart, I’ve bought new batteries adding up to 64volt and a new controller, I know the motor works but I cannot introduce the throttle into the circuit and don’t know which cable is the ignition wire please can someone help me
Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Cable Engineering

·
Registered
338 Posts
The maker of the motor controller should be able to supply you with a wiring diagram, that would be a good place to start.

As for the throttle, there are different kinds, so if you are using whatever was originally on the vehicle, it might not be compatible with the controller? Post the wiring diagram for the controller and some pictures of the throttle, and someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went for a midream controller like the following one but to find the wiring diagram has been quite difficult.
I’ve gone for a new pedal throttle which has a green black and yellow wire which I’ve connected to what I believe to be the throttle cable in the controller which is green red and black.
Also I have four cables coming off the motor and understand that there should only be 3 for the 3 phase cables from the controller, what am I meant to do with the fourth??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Sounds like you don't have a three phase motor...you sure it's not a separately excited DC motor?

You may have the wrong speed controller if that's the case.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeah, I was going to guess it was possibly just a series DC, but either way, I suspect that it is not a brushless DC motor, which is what that Chinese motor controller is for. Does the motor have a nameplate on it with any useful info?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I’ll look for a nameplate tonight but today I’ve also been told I may need a contactor, how do I wire that into a circuit and what controller would u recommend if the motor is a self excited one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts