DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ,

i'm just buying an old golf 2 electric.
i'm interested to do a big upgrade on it.

there is no batterie and the old controller is not complete.

i'm thinking to do a lithium convertion and change the complete drive unit for a small front tesla one.
probleme on the tesla drive unit it the motor is buhind the drive shaft and in the golf there is not lot of spcae to fit it.
and after see all the car converted with it nobody use it on reverse rotation.
is there a probleme to do that ?
some photo of the city stromer in actual conditions...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
i'm thinking to ... change the complete drive unit for a small front tesla one.
probleme on the tesla drive unit it the motor is buhind the drive shaft and in the golf there is not lot of spcae to fit it.
and after see all the car converted with it nobody use it on reverse rotation.
is there a probleme to do that ?
I agree that fitting that drive unit in is likely to be a problem, both for space to the firewall and interference with the steering rack.

Tesla drive units are not used in reverse rotation because the oil pump which lubricates the gears and cools the motor turns the wrong way when in reverse. The drive gear for this pump could be replaced with a motor, perhaps.

The more obvious solution to use the drive unit from almost any other current or recent EV (such as the production e-Golf), since almost all of them put the motor ahead of the axle, and most of them are front-wheel-drive.

·
Administrator
6,293 Posts
Hi [email protected]

There is almost nothing that you will be able to use from that old EV Golf - I would suggest selling that to somebody who wanted a low voltage DC conversion and then getting another old IC golf to convert

Or else rebuilding that one with Lithium a new controller and the original motor

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in france ev convertion is not allowed, so i need this one to have an old ev golf.
city stromer was original ev built by vw.

so if tesla is not possible i will go with a leaf one, less power than tesla but better than the original one....

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
If you're going to replace the controller, you could replace the motor as well (such as with an AC motor), without any other consequences, as long as the motor bolts onto the same adapter plate and connects to the same shaft coupler. But that implies a compatible operating voltage, and the VW factory motor mounting and shaft may not be compatible with other motors that you might want to use.

I agree with Duncan that if you go to a Tesla (or other production EV) drive unit, all of the existing EV conversion components will be either not needed (such as the controller, motor, motor to transaxle adapter, and motor to transaxle shaft coupler) or not useful (such as any wiring, switching equipment, or protective components that isn't suitable for the higher voltage). That makes a clean start with another car - and selling this one as suggested - a more rational approach, although it looks like using this already-electric car is a practical necessity.

So the most effective approaches look like:
  • pulling out everything from batteries to transaxle and starting again with salvaged Leaf (or similar) components (that's still not easy), or
  • upgrading to new a new battery and controller while maintaining a similar operating voltage (to match the motor).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your reply, sell the car is not an option for me.

this car is the only electric golf 2 in france.
in france we can't convert any car you want in electric.
only original electric car are street legal.

as i want a electric old golf, i have to do with it.
change lot of part is not a probleme.

i think i will go with a complete leaf drive unit and fit an open inverter card from johannes hubner.
vw e-golf unit are to expensive for the moment.

i have 2 years to do the upgrade, i hope that's enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi [email protected],

What is the reason you want to change the motor?
why not just convert to lithium and enjoy?

i have a kangoo first generation with a little more power than the golf and a peugeot ion.
here in the south of france in pyrenees there is a lot of road that need power to climb it.
no probleme with the ion, but the kangoo don't have enough power for me.
i thinks it will be the same for the golf.

and when you go down there is no regene with dc motor.

·
Administrator
6,293 Posts
With regard to the power - that looks like a Warp9 or equivalent

The actual power will be determined by the controller - which you are going to replace

You should have no difficulty at all in leaping up any hills with that motor and a decent controller

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With regard to the power - that looks like a Warp9 or equivalent

The actual power will be determined by the controller - which you are going to replace

You should have no difficulty at all in leaping up any hills with that motor and a decent controller

yes i know that warp 9 have good power, realy enough as the car come with a soliton1.
but for a daily driver i realy need regen to improve the range on hill road.

·
Administrator
6,293 Posts
How much advantage do you expect to get from re-gen?

In city driving taxi drivers do get quite a lot - but in the country you don't get much at all

On a "Rolling hill" type of route you are better off just allowing your speed to vary a bit

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
with the peugeot ion ( i-miev clone) we have lot off regen on downhill, that allow us to drive more Km on a single charge and that increase the range.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are you sure you got the right paperwork with this car ?

The pictures doesnt show anything like an original Citystromer but rather a DC converted ICE Golf.

The original Citystromer had Siemens AC drivetrains and was perfectly capable of doing 60kW from it when using a higher battery voltage instead of the 96V.

I know how hard France is with any car paperwork so I would tripple check that you can actually get this car legally on the French roads and doing the yearly tests before spending any money on it. Why not get a French Peugeot 106 Electrique or Citroen Saxo and use Tesla small motor in that :) Looking at the pictures it looks lik this car is coming from Norway, is that correct ? But it doesnt drive and you claim it is the only EV/Citystromer Golf in France but how is this possible at all because you need to present a driveable/working car when importing it ? Or do you assume that because it has a Norwegian registration you can get a French registration ? I'm really interested in the story behind this but as of now it sounds very strange...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi prensel, please check the speedometer and you will see that is not and ICE one .
this car was not in original state, but i have the original motor and some part of the original controler.

here you can see some photo of it's past :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/magnus_jo/sets/72157626576867816/
and you can check sweden registration that is a realy city stromer.

the way to have paper in france for this car is only ask french federation of old car and ask them to registrate it as a collectible car.
with this way we don't need a french conformity certificate.

and why not a 106 or clio ? because i'm a vw fan.

·
Administrator
6,293 Posts
with the peugeot ion ( i-miev clone) we have lot off regen on downhill, that allow us to drive more Km on a single charge and that increase the range.
By how much?

Re-gen is one of those things that can be useful but most people only get about 5% improvement

You could end up spending a fortune to get a tiny increment

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
on the ion, i can regene arround 2km of energie just on the outlet of the motorway.
i can imagine what is possible when i go downhill from Font Romeu to the sea ....

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would 2nd the suggestion of keeping the motor that is already in the car - the lithium batteries are the significant advancement in technology that will render this car usable and fun as opposed to a different motor technology. Controllers for it are cheap, reverse and multiple ratios are built into the gearbox, would make for a very doable project! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts