DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking for a new clamp meter with extensive features (Resistance, Capacitance, Temp and more) at low cost (below 100$ preferably).
I would like to be able to read cell voltage with 3 digits after dot (4.152V by example), but since many clampmeter are reading only 2 digits after dot upper than 4V, it's not an obligation.
About Amps, 400A and over seem enough for me.

I like the small Uni-T UT210D, but 200A is limited and I don't know the quality.
http://uni-trend.com/productsdetail.aspx?ProductsID=711&ProductsCateId=773&CateId=773

Is there other interesting features to have on a clamp meter for a guy playing with batteries?
Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Make sure it does DC on the clamp ammeter. Many only do AC on the clamp. The first one only goes to 200A AC/DC. That second one you linked doesn't do DC on the clamp.

I have this:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-true-rms-ac-dc-clamp-ammeter/p-03473756000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

Goes to 800A and it's pretty close to what my fluke at work measures. I like it and it's in my luggage whenever I have to go on a field service call. Comes with a thermocouple for measuring temperature and decent leads.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I bought this one, solely because of its DC clamp-on current feature:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00O1Q2HOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a good little meter- doesn't do everything you want but I already had a good Fluke and a decent Canadian Tire meter with HFe and a thermocouple input reader as well.

...and the price is right...

Be careful as there are scam sellers on Amazon.ca . You can see many versions of this same meter, some with and some without DC clamp-on capacity- and some are being sold below the going price by people who don't actually intend to deliver. I bought one and had to use Amazon's claims process to get my money back after it never showed up.

The great news is that if you use it properly, zeroing it before you start the current, it gives surprisingly accurate DC current with the clamp on even in the 0-2A DC range. That's impressive to me at least!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I will go with the Tacklife.
I prefer the way the wires lead exit and the slightly smaller size compared to the Uni-T model.
Sampling speed, Volt and other specs are the same. Only Amps accurency seem lower on the Tacklife (3% vs 2.5%). Not that important.

I'm a bit concern about the low price.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have a shunt which is good enough to measure the high currents in the car. What I wanted was a means to be able to measure lower DC currents without having to disconnect stuff to install a shunt, or to run the risk of frying my multimeter using its unfused 10A DC current range. The Uni-T I bought does that job like a charm- I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pleased with my Tacklike Ammeter. At 50$ it's cheap and despite that it work well.
The best for me is the 6000 Counts who allow to read 3 digits after point on a cell voltage.
It feel a bit as a cheap objet by his plastic and the tolerences between parts, but at this price it's quite accetable IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought this one, solely because of its DC clamp-on current feature:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00O1Q2HOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a good little meter- doesn't do everything you want but I already had a good Fluke and a decent Canadian Tire meter with HFe and a thermocouple input reader as well.

...and the price is right...

Be careful as there are scam sellers on Amazon.ca . You can see many versions of this same meter, some with and some without DC clamp-on capacity- and some are being sold below the going price by people who don't actually intend to deliver. I bought one and had to use Amazon's claims process to get my money back after it never showed up.

The great news is that if you use it properly, zeroing it before you start the current, it gives surprisingly accurate DC current with the clamp on even in the 0-2A DC range. That's impressive to me at least!

This one is only class 2. I definitely would not recommend this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts