DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

Few weeks back I picked up a 500v 33amp continuous ge dc motor that was rebuilt. (See picture) wondering if this is going to be too much of a project for me. Not seeing a lot (lol none) others using dc motors this size, the output shaft is an inch and 5/8 wide. Has six wires coming out of it, two temp (assuming, just shows resistance, thin wire), two tac (assuming, just shows oc, thin wire) and windings (large wire) Oddly can’t find the picture of the nameplate on it to post. I’ll get it tomorrow.

I’ve six half bridge IGBT’s modules that are rated for 1200v 100amps from some vfd’s. Figured I’d try to copy the controller Damien Maguire used on this 1000 conversion, adjusted for the different motor size.

Anyway, does that seem a little much for a first ev go? I can get a clark 2774337 in the same condition, for pretty cheap, and there’s a lot more information on conversions with that size motor. But then, bigger is always better 🤔🤔🤔 right ?

Thanks!
-Chris

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,106 Posts
DC motor?
Does it have brushes? - if no brushes and commutator then it is an AC motor and will need an appropriate controller

How heavy is it? - I know it's a CRUDE indicator!
A useful motor will be in the 60 kg to 200 kg range -

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh yea, it’s has monster (or at least what I would consider monster) comm bars and brush pairs. I’ll get pictures tomorrow. Also give it a test spin with a car battery, because who wouldn’t

Not put it on a scale, but based on how my back felt after moving it around to get the strap around it, I’d say ever bit of 250lbs

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I’d say ever bit of 250lbs
Mine's 255lbs, and 3phase.

For a 1900 lb car.

Though I'm not set on using it just yet.

I'd snap the axles if I ever tried to get anywhere near the most out of it.

I'm leaning more towards an old Prius drive motor now, because of Canadian availability and price, but, this is the motor that was free so, that matters.

·
Administrator
6,106 Posts
259 lbs - 113 kg

I would say that was perfect! - the 11 inch Hitachi in my car is 105 kg

You may have a problem with voltage and rpm - the Hitachi is 48v and 1400 rpm - I'm running up to 5000 rpm - but I'm using 340v

If your motor is 500v and only 1500 rpm you may not be able to get it to a useful rpm in the car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey

I’d quote to reply but I’m new

Nice motor : )

I don’t recall saying it was only 1500rpm but I forget things.

Posting pictures of it with this, looks like you can change the brush timing with the ring in the back, so that’s pretty convenient! I didn’t chase the thinner wires to see where they end (too much going on) also posting the job sheet that was with it

So let me know what you think? I can still go with the Clark motor, if this seems like Itd be a bananas of an ordeal to work with for a first go

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts