DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some conversions out there that use synchronous belts in their drive train, either for connecting dual motors, or for other portions of the drive train.

My scion xB conversion uses a Goodyear NRG "Blue" belt to connect the motor to the differential, so the belt transfers all the horsepower from the motor to the wheels.

So just as a data point, at 69,000 miles I have finally decided it was time to replace the belt. The original belt did not fail, but on inspection when I had the car up on blocks for other reasons I noted several locations on the belt where the kevlar fibers were beginning to fray off the sides of the belt, and after removal I noted that the bases of all the belt teeth were beginning to crack through the hard plastic coating.

So for a 3000lb EV conversion with about 100hp of power, with the belt exposed to the elements (no protective cover other than the hood/blocked grille of the car and a debris deflector on the undercarriage) I got almost 70K miles. Based on the wear I see I will probably replace the next one at about 60K instead of pushing it to 70K.

Note: Continental bought Goodyear's synchronous belt line, but the components are still available.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Is there any noticeable wear on the sprockets? The wear I've seen sometimes is from sand and grit being trapped(embedded) on the teeth of the belt and slowly grinding away on the sprocket teeth. If this is the case, it would be wise to replace the sprockets as well. A tight fitting cover is a good way to prevent this kind of wear. Also, it cuts down on the noise these drives make.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pulleys are well polished but don't appear to have any excessive wear.

I have had back burner plans for some time to make a cover for the belt system; but haven't ever gotten around to it. If the new belt ends up a bunch noisier than the old one (which was gradually getting quieter over its lifespan) that may prompt me to do that job.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for this data point.
I am about to create a 2:1 gear reduction using this type of belt for my direct drive motorcycle. some of the design software (Gates) indicates a 36mm wide belt.

Out of curiosity, what size/width is your belt?
thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts