DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if you're interested in my narrative, that's at the bottom.
If you're a get-to-the-point sort of person, it's this:

• I have a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 in complete working order, except a blown engine.
  • I know 0% about any of this process, including where/how to start.
  • I would appreciate a rough estimate of the expected cost, and
how much time to complete, given all materials are available.
- I'm hoping for any suggestions on how to proceed.

Story:
So, I've been wanting to do a project for a couple decades now, but the roadblock has been affording the quality combustion vehicle itself. Lucky for me, I kept forgetting to put oil in this one, and it threw a rod. My Wife really believes in me, so when I asked she said, "whatever" and here we are.

Seriously, I'm so excited to make this happen, but I am truly blind in this, aside from reading a couple books on the subject. I would love to succeed, this is a genuine dream-goal for me, and knowing I can afford it makes me the only weak link in the chain, given my lack of knowledge about cars. But like any of the many chains in a car engine, I need others to make this happen.

Thank You for any guidance you offer.

-k

·
Registered
165 Posts
How much it will cost is very dependent on how much range you're looking for, since most of the cost is in the batteries. Under 100 miles, your best bet is buying a salvaged Nissan leaf that still runs for under $6k. Then all you need is a VCU that lets you run it in any donor vehicle. So probably $7-8k total.

If you need more range than that, you pretty much have to go with Tesla modules, which get expensive very fast. A conversion with tesla modules will probably run you $15k+, and possibly over $20k depending on how many tesla modules you buy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts