DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm thrilled to have finally found a forum like this. Ive been plotting an electric conversion for months but haven't found the right way to start, until now!

A little about me, new father, ASE master mechanic for 25 years, not afraid of fabrication work, zero EV experience other than owning a Rav4 EV. Excited to build my own system.

I am loaded with questions and eager to learn!

What I want to achieve... Since this will be my first conversion I understand it will be a little sloppy and ill run into a lot of "shoulda done that instead" scenarios. Ill want to keep it low budget for the first conversion, Ill need the car to hit 45-50 mph and have a range of 50 ish miles. It weighs about 2500 pounds. I live in the mountains so elevation is a consideration. I was hoping someone could suggest a "minimum requirements" setup for me and i can go from there. I also found a couple toyota Prius's for $1000 close to me, would it make sense to pick one up and go from there?

I have not started my project yet but the car is a 1988 Fiero GT with a blown 2.8 engine and automatic trans, From what ive read so far Ill need to convert to manual. once I have a plan ill go ahead and start a conversion thread, hopefully brainstorming is allowed in the new member section :D

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I also found a couple toyota Prius's for $1000 close to me, would it make sense to pick one up and go from there?
A Prius is a fine hybrid, but I don't see the logic in using the components from one in a battery-only EV. The engine would not be used, the transaxle is designed for use with an engine, and the battery is far too small to be of any use in an EV. Sure, it's cheap, but what would you use from it?

I have not started my project yet but the car is a 1988 Fiero GT with a blown 2.8 engine and automatic trans, From what ive read so far Ill need to convert to manual.
Details can wait for that conversion thread, but keep in mind that you only need to convert to a manual Fiero transaxle if you are going to use that transaxle; another alternative is to use the transaxle with comes with the motor if you use a motor (and transaxle, and probably controller/inverter) salvaged from a production EV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A Prius is a fine hybrid, but I don't see the logic in using the components from one in a battery-only EV. The engine would not be used, the transaxle is designed for use with an engine, and the battery is far too small to be of any use in an EV. Sure, it's cheap, but what would you use from it?

I was not sure if it would be a good donor motor or not,,, looks like not :)
searching for forklift motors has left me confused. Is there a specific model I should look for? Ive read about the wine color windings and 100-150 pound units, perhaps ill have to find a forklift boneyard with someone willing to have me peer into his motors?

Details can wait for that conversion thread, but keep in mind that you only need to convert to a manual Fiero transaxle if you are going to use that transaxle; another alternative is to use the transaxle with comes with the motor if you use a motor (and transaxle, and probably controller/inverter) salvaged from a production EV.

It seems the Leaf is gaining popularity, however I want to start smaller, and be more hands on. not as far as building my own controller (yet) but rebuilding a forklift motor and piecing my own system together to keep cost down and learn as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts