DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been thinking about EV conversion for a long time, around 15 years, but really haven't got anything done to date, distracted with other projects (which are still on-going... :D).
Obviously I was looking into the usual setup with Advanced DC motors + Trojan deep cycle lead acid batteries at the time, so I have much to catch up.
Looking forward to learn heaps here.
Cheers
Sam

·
Administrator
6,154 Posts
Welcome
Have a good read of all of the options - the best batteries these days are from crashed EV's
See if you can get a crashed Leaf - a DIY EV kit!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks - yes Nissan Leaf is quite popular here now (mostly, if not all are ex-Japan import), so there are bound to be some wrecks to be taken advantage of...
I have three cars and two bikes at the moment and none of them are what you'd call ideal candidates...
I've fantasising about converting a Citroen Traction Avant but I guess I have to be a bit more rational about things... :)
Cheers

Edit: Hey didn't realise this place has heaps of NZ contents - very cool!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you're looking for performance then Tesla motors are an option :cool:

I'm converting a 1967 VW Bus with a 'small' Tesla motor (here), Damien is converting a BMW E31 8 Series with a 'large' Tesla motor (here), Jeff is converting a Delorian with a 'small' Tesla motor (here), and Sasha has converted a Lotus Evora with a 'large' Tesla motor (here).

One of the advantages of the Tesla based solution is the availability of open source controllers for the various parts... this will allow customisation to the nth degree :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I agree - EV conversion nowadays follows more closely to building a hot rod, with factory EVs are readily available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts