DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a very kind donation I now have the MCU (media control unit) also know as the big center screen and matching IC (instrument cluster) from a late 2016 Model S. Plan is to get this kit running on the bench and learn as much as possible. Going to use this thread to dump information as I find it. All open source and free.

First, those weird ethernet connectors are RossenbergerHSD :
https://www.rosenberger.com/en/products/automotive/hsd.php

Complete cable assemblies available here :
http://www.rfstreet.com/ch_list.asp?styleid=147&cp_id=2

I have been the guniea pig and bought a few so will report back if they fit....or not:)

Attached a pdf with all the connector plugs needed. Again, I'll put my neck on the block and see if they are correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up an IC off of eBay; I can give it 12V and see the CAN bus start broadcasting when I toggle the wake-up line, but the display itself stays dark. Does anyone know if the MCU has to be attached for the IC to show anything? I wondering if I was sold a bad display...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I picked up an IC off of eBay; I can give it 12V and see the CAN bus start broadcasting when I toggle the wake-up line, but the display itself stays dark. Does anyone know if the MCU has to be attached for the IC to show anything? I wondering if I was sold a bad display...
Yes, the IC displays nothing unless the ethernet cables are hooked up when it starts up. Thereafter the display should stay active even if you disconnect ethernet

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rough plan as of now is to develop a hardware "modchip" type solution to allow root on these displays regardless of firmware versions etc. to allow them to be repurposed in non Tesla vehicles. I have no idea if or indeed how that will work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My rough plan as of now is to develop a hardware "modchip" type solution to allow root on these displays regardless of firmware versions etc. to allow them to be repurposed in non Tesla vehicles. I have no idea if or indeed how that will work.

sounds like a great idea:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts