DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Hacking the Tesla Model S Front Junction Box

26K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Anatolii Efimtchik 
Like what HV connectors are used on the Tesla HVJB? Those are KET HVSC 280 series, but they're not available to mere mortals :/

For reference:
  • Orange (A/C): MG655773 (key A)
  • Gray (fluid heater): MG655774 (key B)
  • Brown (PTC heater): MG655775 (key C)
  • Blue (DC-DC): MG655776 (key D)
Thanks.

Has anybody made an alternative to the infeed power connectors work? The jbox I bought doesn't have a cable.
Looking at the picture, the connector is just there to seal the round holes. The actual connections are on the inside of the jbox.

Yep. Been spending a bit of time pumping the collective data forum this forum and the OI forum into the OI wiki - there's a reasonably thorough section on Tesla OEM bits there now. Was kinda keeping it under wraps until it was finished, but just built up the last of it tonight (y)

You'll find the sum of it all here: Tesla - openinverter.org wiki
This is incredible! Thank you for your efforts. This will help many of us.

Like what HV connectors are used on the Tesla HVJB? Those are KET HVSC 280 series, but they're not available to mere mortals :/

For reference:
  • Orange (A/C): MG655773 (key A)
  • Gray (fluid heater): MG655774 (key B)
  • Brown (PTC heater): MG655775 (key C)
  • Blue (DC-DC): MG655776 (key D)
Interesting that connectors are rated for 20A, while the ptc heater has a 40A fuse...🤔
High Voltage Fuse | xEV Parts | 제품 | KET
Same goes for the A/C compressor connector..

Do we know the wire sizes used?

Understand that and am assuming that the FHVJB serves as the hv contactor for the heater
If I understand correctly by looking at the PCB and the previous posts in the thread... All devices (except the fluid heater) are merely connected via fuses to the HV input, i.e. no control via the FHVJB.

The heater is controlled via PWM inside the box. If you think of PWM at 0% as heater off and at 100% heater fully on, then, yes, it can be viewed as an equivalent to a contactor, where contacts open = heater off, contacts closed = heater fully on.

Hope this explains.