DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two Zilla's came with two different hairballs, one was wired into a Hepa Pedal and the other Pot meter switch. Are Hairballs universal or are they internally wired differently for these two types of inputs? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The hairballs are different inside. I suppose you have to talk to Otmar as I have no clue how to upgrade or downgrade from one input to the other. I can say the regular hairball uses the 2 wire 0-5k ohm pot box connection that the Curtis controller uses.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, more good news!
Anyone selling a hairball that uses a pot box?

The hairballs are different inside. I suppose you have to talk to Otmar as I have no clue how to upgrade or downgrade from one input to the other. I can say the regular hairball uses the 2 wire 0-5k ohm pot box connection that the Curtis controller uses.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone with a basic hairball thats wired for a pot box that needs a hairball with a complete hepa pedal, I will trade and pay for shipping. :D

I need the pot box hairball.;)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to use one Hairball and split the Cat5 data wire to two controllers? :eek:

Also, I have ordered a special 'pulse' sensor that mounts to the front of my first Netgain Motor, it is designed for the Zilla/Hairball input. Can I split the signal and send the sensor reading to both Hairballs if I am using two Hairballs? :confused:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Can you program the Hairball (out of car) if connected to 12v and computer?
I have not tried, but I'm pretty sure you can. The settings are saved even if all power is removed from the Hairball so settings won't be lost. Some individual settings can only be done in the proper mode, you have to apply power to the valet pin to change those settings. I just use one of the Palm's that Otmar modified to have a terminal program installed (an older B&W Palm with a real serial port.)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay, thanks.

I am using a ACER ASPIRE One D260. Windows 7 Intel Atom. Teraterm Terminal Software. :rolleyes:
http://logmett.com/index.php?/download/tera-term-469.html

I have not tried, but I'm pretty sure you can. The settings are saved even if all power is removed from the Hairball so settings won't be lost. Some individual settings can only be done in the proper mode, you have to apply power to the valet pin to change those settings. I just use one of the Palm's that Otmar modified to have a terminal program installed (an older B&W Palm with a real serial port.)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Gotta love having people with money around :) Gotta laugh (just a little) when they buy a $500 computer to do a job easily handled by an old PDA. :D

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Gotta love having people with money around :) Gotta laugh (just a little) when they buy a $500 computer to do a job easily handled by an old PDA. :D
don't be that smug, he may not have a real eiaa standard addressable serial port that the latest windows can actually use.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased a used hairball that is wired for a pot box, but it is a EHV hairball and my controller is HV, will this matter?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'm not sure of the full interchangeability of the hairballs. Otmar told me that I can swap hairballs between my Z1k-LV and Z1k-HV controllers (and I have, and it's fine.) I don't have any Z2k or any -EHV controllers so I never asked him those questions.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I don't have a few months to receive an answer. He builds an awesome product, but customer service is like playing lotto. :p
That has not been my experience lately. Try him again.

As to your -HV vs -EHV question my foggy memory recalls reading something about it not mattering but that there is some setting for the current of the power stage that you don't want to get wrong. One value is for the 1K and the other for the 2K but I don't know what setting it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts