DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BMS uses a hall effect sensor for current measurement. I want to avoid the clutter of having multiple sensors so I would to the use the same hall effect sensor to report to a panel meter in the cab.

Does anyone know where I can find a panel meter that will work with a hall effect sensor? The only ones I have found use a shunt.

thanks

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
use a voltmeter to measure the signal voltage coming off of the hall effect device. Hopefully it will be linearly proportional to the current going through it. If it is, it should be pretty easy to translate that signal to drive your existing panel ammeter. In fact, it may not require anything other than some resistors. Just make sure whatever you design doesn't affect the signal voltage (drag it down or whatever) enough to affect your other instrumentation.

Alternatively, if you know the part number of your existing hall effect device, you can find the datasheets for it online (just google the part number). Knowing what its output signal looks like will allow you to do the same thing.

FWIW, Here is the hall effect sensor series I use (mine is a HASS-200-S which has a sample range of +-600A):

http://www.lem.com/hq/en/component/option,com_catalog/task,displayserie/serie,HASS/output_type,/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts