DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably hasn't been touched on yet but here's what i was thinking.
I'm converting a 1971 corvette and taking away sound from the experience entirely is a little too harsh, it should make some sound which pays homage to its heritage as an old muscle car

i'm NOT interested in just making it sound like a gas engine, it isn't that anymore, it's something new.

For hardware, there's various "electronic exhaust" products out by now
which are essentially just bass speakers in a metal housing

as for the sound itself, i'm not sure where to start in terms of audio manipulation but i have a lot of sounds to work with:

For the idle, the C8 corvette makes this wonderfully deep sci-fi like "hum" at this specific spot in this video, i want to build the sound around that or incorporate it

could also take the idle from a chevy 350 engine....

and manipulate it into a more continuous hum sound and use that as the core, something that sounds somewhat like this

for the actual acceleration, my dream is like, a sound that's the ghost of a V8's rumble without the actual cylinder firing sound, mixed with something like the tycan's progressive motor whine.
a sound totally unique but reminds you of the C6.R's thunderous stampede of a note

but then again, the 350 makes a pretty nice sound all on its own, i could base it off that
1974 Corvette Acceleration Open Headers

and I'd love to approximate the sound of downshifting during deceleration based on ultra high voltage switch openings
Jacob's Ladder: 500kV Switch Opening
and another good sound sample at 1:40
Top 5 Dangerous Short Circuit Videos

then there's the property of a Shepard's tone, layered in such a way that it sounds like it's always rising/falling in pitch but never gets there, like an "infinite rev"
the batpod did this;
THE DARK KNIGHT Bat Pod Sequence

For some of you really deep into the EV ethos this may seem nonsensical or a step in the wrong direction but i'm equal part petrol head and volt head, so i want to bring some of that old school theater forward

·
Super Moderator
1,351 Posts
I have heard these described as an "automotive combover", but that is more, using small engine to sound big.

In some places you're required to have the car make a noise at low speeds.

I dunno... I'm not big on any of them.

How's the rest of your build going?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the concept has a lot of potential beyond just an audio combover, the Taycan elevated it to a proper art form in terms of giving the car a real auditory character

rest of the build it on ice until i'm gainfully employed

·
Registered
532 Posts
There are apps that use OBD-II throttle position to run an engine emulator (you can select from several vehicles) on your phone. at that point, it's how much power you have in your car audio system.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I did a little digging but came up dry for the actual thread. maybe someone with a better memory or search ability will find it. However, there is a fellow from either Australia or New Zealand who converted a truck and, at one point, he put a sound system on it to emulate an idling and/or low reving diesel, mostly for driving around parking lots.

B

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Use the tach drive signal for the frequency source, run that through some sort of processing software to get the sound you desire. This was done perhaps 6-7 years ago ( when I was converting my ranger, ) but the original owners sold the site and a lot of really good info got zapped.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I messed around with this way back when for fun. I got it to work well but I'm not a good programmer so it was kind of a kluge. I'm not even sure the SBC it was based on is still available.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
An cool setup, although i suspect there are much better boards for much cheaper these days
for instance the Pi is used in a number of really good open source synthesizers, and i'm thinking a synth is a good basis for what i'm trying to do

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the more i look at this, the more it's looking like i'll need to create the "core" sound in a really good DAW (digital audio workstation) like ableton live, and then run the sound within some sound engine on an RBPI, which can do simple manipulations to it based on can messages

i'll be limited in what manipulations i can do since i'll have a very low computational overhead

·
Registered
774 Posts
I converted an 84 Fiat X19 twenty years ago and there were some trying to make sounds for their EV's back then. There was talk of making it mandatory that electric cars have a sound to warn pedestrians. I can tell you from experience most people pay no heed to car sounds. Anyone that has any knowledge of older Fiats know that they are noisy. I have had cars practically running straight pipes and had people step out in front of me. I like the quiet of my electric X and would like to get a quieter blower fan for the controller and motor cooling. I do like the faint wur of the Dc motor. Fake engine noise is just that, "Fake." If you own an electric car then own the lack of noise.

·
Read Only
45 Posts
My thought was that it would be funny to use the spaceship car noise from The Jetsons. Alternatively, if you really want to be a jerk, get an icecream truck noisemaker. THEN people will notice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts