DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an old conversion motor for my VW kit car that was a starter generator from a B-29. My problem is that it is not a series DC but probably a compound DC motor with 4 terminals and it has 4 brushes as well. The 4 terminals do not go to the 4 brushes but I believe 2 go to the windings. I did pick up a golf cart speed control but I need to figure out what voltage to apply to the different contacts and which are + or -. I just went through my pics and realize I have none of this new motor and adapter so I will have to add more details later. The car is an Aztec 7. Has anyone encountered this conversion before? The 4 terminals are labeld E and B (Large terminals), and D on one of the small terminals (other has broken part where # goes).http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28513&id=1748366896&l=a93881c541

G

·
0 Posts
I can help you with your motor. I have one too. The motor is a Special SepEx Motor and will not directly work with a modern controller. I have a software modified Kelly SepEx controller that will power these motors. It includes regen. Your motor only uses three of the terminals. Terminal D is not used. DO NOT use terminal D. One of the field windings is common with the armature and would be very very difficult to hunt down and disconnect to allow for normal SepEx use. The modified controller works fine but at high speeds we have not fully tested it. I have a couple youtube flicks of our test. We used a test bench rather than using it in a vehicle. My VW buggy is not up and running yet. The motor is hooked up and ready to go but the vehicle is not yet road worthy.

May I ask where you got your old Kaylor Motor Adaptor? They are well built.

http://greenev.zapto.org/63ev/63_EV/Kelly_Test.html
http://greenev.zapto.org/electricvw

Have a look at the rest of my site and the other one too while your at it. You can email me directly if you like or PM me for further questions.

I can tell you that the little motor pushed my Ghia to 62 mph at 72 volts and our first modified controller that was kinda weak. The new controller is still 72 volts but much higher amps. Should do much better on the road. One other word. The motors get hot and need a cooling cover and fan to keep the motor cool. Do you have a cooling cover for the end of the motor?

The motors whine a bit but kind of like a turbine. They are well built and built with military specs. They are very hardy. I have two motors and two spare armatures. Bearings can be replaced as well as brushes. Light weight and perfect for the VW. Did I mention that the adaptor plate is very very well built and engineered? Yup I did. I also have talked with Roy Kaylor himself about these. These were built in the 70's. I also have two original manuals from kits that were sold. These are perfect for VW Buggies or fiberglass VW cars. Like the Aztec or others. The old speed controllers used to be contactor switches. Do you by chance have those?

Pete :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is great news. I had this motor and adapter for a couple years now (from ebay) and had just about given up on finding a speed control compatable. I have flattened the back of the Aztec kit removing its louvers (too wavy plus I don't like it when it rains on my motor) and will be installing thin lightweight solar panels when I am finished-- I do not expect to power the car on Solar alone but hope it will slowly recharge the batteries when I am not at home and perhaps reduce the load on the batteries a little. I hope to one day install a modified Warrior tube roll cage to reduce the weight even more. What do these contactor switches look like?- there were a few extra items in the box with the wiring. John :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The box came with a 400 Amp relay Single pull single throw 24-28 VDC that I figure was just a safety cut out relay. John:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is a clutch really needed on an electric car? I was planning to have the flywheel trimmed down and then bolt the clutchplate directly to the remaining section of flywheel elimiminating the pressure plate and 3/4 of the weight there. It wouldn't hurt me to get rid of that nasty third pedal on the floor either.:confused:John

G

·
0 Posts
The Kaylor was designed for use of the clutch. It is a low voltage setup and I guarantee you need the clutch because you will be shifting alot and using all the gears. It is a tiny motor.

Pete :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts