DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd problem with my Zilla controller, only when I turn on headlights before 'key-on'. If I turn on headlights, wait, key-on and wait (even 30 seconds after pre-charge light is complete), I will only drive about 10 feet before the controller errors out and quits.

I have to disconnect main power to cycle the power off to the zilla hairball, give it a few seconds and re-connect to get it to reset.

If I turn headlights on AFTER I'm moving about 10 seconds and the controller makes 'the usual noise', no problem.

The only other facts I can think of that might be pertinent are that the car is my eMiata which is a series NA that has the flip-up headlights. I'm thinking that *something* turning on the headlights creates a power 'blink' that the hairball sees as an error even before key-on. What I cannot figure out is why it's ok if I turn headlights on once I'm moving and under power?!

Any ideas what this error could be or how to fix it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are your headlights isolated from everything else? In most of my cars, I've added a separate harness for the headlights, with relays triggered by the original headlight socket. It allows you to power the headlights directly from the battery, preventing them from impacting anything else - as long as you've got enough juice to run everything I'm not sure what the stock harness setup in a Miata is, but it might be worth a look.

Out of curiosity, how are the headlight lids actuated? Could there be some garbage on the lines from some motors running? I only ask because the computer in my mustang is very sensitive to noise on the line, and requires a very clean + line directly from the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Try a dedicated wire from 12V battery negative terminal to the hairball. Also make sure headlamps don't drag down 12V positive too much.

major

1 - 3 of 3 Posts