DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone who has ever driven a VW bus in less than 50 degree weather knows that the heaters are nearly worthless. Now lets take the one source of heat out of the vehicle, and see what happens... I'll give you a hint, nada.

Seriously though the squirrel box (blower fan) in the back of the bus works great, and we can port that directly into the existing heating vents without problem. Now we just need a heating option to put in line to the defrosters. Hopefully looking for a 12v heater coil of some sort. I have looked into a few options, but just hoping that there may be some people who have battled this before with some success.

·
Registered
519 Posts
So everyone who has ever driven a VW bus in less than 50 degree weather knows that the heaters are nearly worthless. Now lets take the one source of heat out of the vehicle, and see what happens... I'll give you a hint, nada.

Seriously though the squirrel box (blower fan) in the back of the bus works great, and we can port that directly into the existing heating vents without problem. Now we just need a heating option to put in line to the defrosters. Hopefully looking for a 12v heater coil of some sort. I have looked into a few options, but just hoping that there may be some people who have battled this before with some success.
Is the EV traditional ceramic heater element not an option? Most people just use one from a floor heater and run that off the traction pack.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I don't know if it's taboo but VW did make a window mounted gas heater for both the van and the bug. You might consider that - a few usually show up at the vw swap meets or at least they did a few years ago when I was into the scene.

Good luck
Renny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah we ended up butchering a hair dryer, and plugging it in right below the dash. It looks pretty sweet actually. We even toyed with plugging it in off the third battery back on our 144v pack (i.e. 120v) and it worked fine, but I think that we are going to run it off the 12v accessory battery with an inverter instead just as a precautionary measure in case something cooked after extended use on our $2.50 used hair dryer...

I can tell you this much though. Those little 12v auxiliary defrosters are crap. We took one look at that thing and I started thinking about other options. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow if I remember. It's pretty slick though.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Early bussies had a gasoline powered aux heater, which a: worked, and B; worked really well when it didn't expolde. It would be really ironic if the electric bus pulled up to a gas station for a heater refill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts