DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting fiat 500 to electric any ideas to get heater working ? Thought about using small diesel heater to heat water plumed into heater core

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am converting fiat 500 to electric any ideas to get heater working ? Thought about using small diesel heater to heat water plumed into heater core
See what i made for my cars:

Webasto heater is perfect because it automaticaly solves your certification problem with a component that was made for any car. Wiring and troubleshooting is known...
I drive my Pug every day now and i dont mind occasional stop at the station. I take 10l fuel can with me and i usually fill in about 15l between the can and fuel tank and i dont need to visit the pump for a month...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See what i made for my cars:

Webasto heater is perfect because it automaticaly solves your certification problem with a component that was made for any car. Wiring and troubleshooting is known...
I drive my Pug every day now and i dont mind occasional stop at the station. I take 10l fuel can with me and i usually fill in about 15l between the can and fuel tank and i dont need to visit the pump for a month...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are there any high voltage water heaters that would allow you to use the oem heater core/a/c system? I have seen reference to some but haven't been able to track down any currently on the market.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Are there any high voltage water heaters that would allow you to use the oem heater core/a/c system? I have seen reference to some but haven't been able to track down any currently on the market.
This be the cheapest nd most elegant option. Command is via CAN bus and 12V are there to supply logic. I find it works even upt o 400Vdc.

I even have AC compressor here

·
Registered
39 Posts
This be the cheapest nd most elegant option. Command is via CAN bus and 12V are there to supply logic. I find it works even upt o 400Vdc.

Fantastic research and write-up, arber333!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Use a off the shelf block heater. Ive been told they "should" function on DC. Just will get a bit hotter but dont over volt it. I was going to run 144v DC through a 110 volt water heater. Youd need a good pump to stop it burning out and a temp sensor to stop it if the water became too hot. I have paused this idea as I dont think i have enough batteries for it. It may be possible to use it to "preheat" the car off the mains before you drive out though...

·
Registered
118 Posts

I never think Can is a elegant solution. Annoying hassles with rocket scientist code. I like devices where you apply a voltage and get a result. That is elegant to me. Not something that is a brick until you get some board and sift through lines of code. No thanks.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I never think Can is a elegant solution. Annoying hassles with rocket scientist code. I like devices where you apply a voltage and get a result. That is elegant to me. Not something that is a brick until you get some board and sift through lines of code. No thanks.
Well you see for 360Vdc you would have to have a DC contactor to operate the heater and that would further need to draw 0.5Aof 12V for which you would need either a Mosfet or another small relay. And then how to regulate the heater so it wouldnt boil the coolant? You would need one or two thermostat switches to open or close relays with some hysteresis etc...
Its all in this heater... CAN simply controls the start and surprisingly you can also throttle the heater somewhat. Also you can use its temp report for other purposes in your system regardless of if it is operating. Granted it works from 180Vdc up to 400Vdc i think.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts