DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
I also installed seat heaters under the seat fabric. This keeps me warm in autumn where there is no need for the heater to run.

Did you see the Outlander AC compressor run? That one is next.
I also tried to run Prius compressor and it worked, but i ended burning its motor up. Too much power in the inverter :).

Registered
Well you see for 360Vdc you would have to have a DC contactor to operate the heater and that would further need to draw 0.5Aof 12V for which you would need either a Mosfet or another small relay. And then how to regulate the heater so it wouldnt boil the coolant? You would need one or two thermostat switches to open or close relays with some hysteresis etc...
Its all in this heater... CAN simply controls the start and surprisingly you can also throttle the heater somewhat. Also you can use its temp report for other purposes in your system regardless of if it is operating. Granted it works from 180Vdc up to 400Vdc i think.
I understand what your saying about the fine control but its currently a hassle for the average joe.

Registered
Dear Average Joe,

Just bang bang it to a nominal 170 degrees (F) with two series connected thermostatic switches. Open circuit at 180F, close at 160F. Switch in series with the thermostats for heater on/off.

All done at the 12V coil voltage and the contactor turning your heating element and water pump on/off at 360V.

This is already built into an ICE car's cabin heat system, mixer doors, etc all running on 160-180 degree "coolant".

meh

Registered
Well you see for 360Vdc you would have to have a DC contactor to operate the heater and that would further need to draw 0.5Aof 12V for which you would need either a Mosfet or another small relay. And then how to regulate the heater so it wouldnt boil the coolant? You would need one or two thermostat switches to open or close relays with some hysteresis etc...
Its all in this heater... CAN simply controls the start and surprisingly you can also throttle the heater somewhat. Also you can use its temp report for other purposes in your system regardless of if it is operating. Granted it works from 180Vdc up to 400Vdc i think.
There is a non-CAN solution but it is pretty expensive. It uses a contactor, a solid state relay and a temperature switch: EVTV Motor Verks Store: Hot Water Heating Kit, Cooling and Heating, glycolkit

Registered
There is a non-CAN solution but it is pretty expensive. It uses a contactor, a solid state relay and a temperature switch: EVTV Motor Verks Store: Hot Water Heating Kit, Cooling and Heating, glycolkit
I have a cheaper idea. You could use a dishwasher heater 1K8 i think and hook it up to a 12V contactor with a thermostat or two to keep it ON/OFF. You would have to include the pump. I tested 230Vac heater with 360Vdc and it pulled almost 5kW!!! Hm... maybe two heaters in series for safety?

Registered
230 vac rms x 1.414 (rms to peak) says 325 v peak to peak my house mains actually measure 361v.
I use a standard $20 usd water heater strap on thermostat. Up or down Dialable temps, deals with the currents, but may arc the contacts on DC disconnect. Solution for the arcs is a solid state relay if you can find one that actually switches the labeled currents more than once or one of the hydrogen filled panasonics out of a volt pack.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts