DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been planning to convert a car to be an EV for quite a while now but when I saw a cheap EV on ebay my heart ruled my head and now I am just embarking on my first project which is recommissioning a Citroen C1 Ev'ie that has been a bit mistreated.

I saw this car that according to the owner "wouldn't charge" and thought "how hard can it be?". Hmmm.

I asked around an a knowledgable chap basically said that he knew the car of old, that it had cost a lot of people a lot of money and that I was better cutting my losses and walking away. The batteries were toast and the motor wouldn't have a long life because of the way a previous owner had mucked about with it.

Well, I'm in now and as I said, I had intended to build an EV and would need a car to convert, BMS, controller etc. and I have all of that so the adventure begins here.

Wish me luck.

Cheers,

Andy.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
No issues with re-purposing a previous conversion. Makes things a bit easier in some cases. I did a 77 MG Midget that had been abandoned but was still sorta working. I ditched the batteries (lead acid) and had the controller replaced. Motor was a Warp Impulse 9" motor connected to the clutch and stock 4 speed. It had a soft top and needed plenty of work. I put in some early LiFePO4 cells and eventually put in a Synkromotive Controller. I did drive it a bit but it was too small for me. I sold it to a guy in Colorado and as far as I know he still drives the little beastie. I called it Black Midge. I only had it setup with 120 volts but could have gone higher. It was a fun rebuild and was quite light weight.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts