DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I am new to the site, and have lots to learn. I used to have a first-gen Prius and wanted to convert to plug-in, but I currently drive a gas powered vehicle and would really like to do a conversion that would be practical for mostly around-town usage (ie: convert a standard transmission early 2000s Jetta to electric with a ~75 mile range). I think EV is just hitting its stride and will really take off over the next decade or so. Looking forward to learning more from each of you. B

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Welcome. A decent choice. I like the Golf best but Jetta is good. For around town a nice little AC-50 with the 650amp controller would do you well. Freeway capable and good all around town vehicle too. Plenty of room for batteries. I suggest AC because that is the way most are going vs DC. DC gives you no regeneration. With DC you must have excellent brakes at all times. With AC you have regenerative braking and can help a great deal in stopping you. Still need excellent brakes but you won't be wearing them out so darn fast. The HPEVS AC-50 has plenty of oomph for a nice street vehicle. The voltage will be 120 volt system with the HPEVS and that should do you good. What are your thoughts on motor/controller setup you'd like to use and what is your budget? What are your thoughts on battery type?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. A decent choice. I like the Golf best but Jetta is good. For around town a nice little AC-50 with the 650amp controller would do you well. Freeway capable and good all around town vehicle too. Plenty of room for batteries. I suggest AC because that is the way most are going vs DC. DC gives you no regeneration. With DC you must have excellent brakes at all times. With AC you have regenerative braking and can help a great deal in stopping you. Still need excellent brakes but you won't be wearing them out so darn fast. The HPEVS AC-50 has plenty of oomph for a nice street vehicle. The voltage will be 120 volt system with the HPEVS and that should do you good. What are your thoughts on motor/controller setup you'd like to use and what is your budget? What are your thoughts on battery type?
Thanks for the tips! I haven’t determined a budget yet, and am still in the exploration phase of the project, but regarding batteries I think I would like to go with li-ion (not sure on the specifics). I’m not firm on it being a Jetta either, but saw one locally on Craigslist that could be a good candidate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts