DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
just thought I would say hello.
I am living just outside Cardiff and am waiting for the return of my 1960 Mini shell from the painters.
The rest of the car is currently in boxes but pretty much all the parts are restored now.
I have decided to make it electric, Yaaaay!
So I thought I'd sign up here to try and avoid re-inventing the wheel, and hopefully help when I can.
In the past I have built a couple of kit cars (I,m selling my Cobra to pay for the Mini) and have restored a few classics but EV's are new to me.
Anyway, Hi!
Ed

·
Registered
Classic Minis
35 Posts
Good afternoon. We just got our classic mini in primer yesterday, hopefully color next week. I'm waiting on laser cut brackets to show up for the motor mount... and a whole bunch of parts from UK. What kind of setup are you trying to do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I am working with a company called Ecoclassics. They have used their system for classic cars in the past but not for a Mini.
I am basically getting everything from them but have to figure out how to get it to fit!
My personal aim is to not change the car so it is easy to revert back to the engine (I will get a lot of stick for using a mk1 shell).
I would guess there will be brackets and so on but the original front subframe will be retained.
It will be a custom-built reduction box which will use the original diff, and most of the batteries will be in the boot.
I guess we will have a lot to talk about over the coming months!

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's good to see so many mini owners being bitten by the electric bug. I'm busy restoring a mini-based kit car, and still trying to decide on motor/gearbox combination (preferably around 100V). A custom gear reduction that uses the original diff sounds interesting. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new to this whole subject, but isn't a big benefit of electric to get the motor to provide the high torque rather than have a gearbox? Or maybe the 'gearbox' is for easy of matching or coupling?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd agree!
What we're doing is using the existing diff in the reduction box. Neither of these are boxes with different selectable gears.
It just means the use of a non-expense diff is possible, but also that diff can be swopped for an LSD readily available from the parts folk here.
These goalposts are however changing quite often!
I will of course keep everyone posted, unfortunately the sprayers were working at half capacity and now may be shut completely, I'm due to check today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd agree!
What we're doing is using the existing diff in the reduction box. Neither of these are boxes with different selectable gears.
It just means the use of a non-expense diff is possible, but also that diff can be swopped for an LSD readily available from the parts folk here.
These goalposts are however changing quite often!
I will of course keep everyone posted, unfortunately the sprayers were working at half capacity and now may be shut completely, I'm due to check today.
Sounds good. (Nice and sunny here in Devon this morning)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had many minis in my time, including a 1071cc [I think] long stroke mini Cooper engined moke, which was a great 'car' and very torquey. Of course I bought it s/h and it was a rust bucket, but used it on snowy dartmoor going to work in Plymouth with studded tyres! Would have carried lots of batteries too - ahead of it's time! Actually I may look at electrifying my old freelander. A few people on 'another forum' are quite keen on that and consider the space pretty good when you have chucked away all the diesel and IC engine bits. Range electrified is guessed at 100 miles, but no doubt in time better batteries will come on the market to improve that. Know anyone who wants a sound Freelander diesel engine with only 125k miles on the clock??! I could get started then!

·
Registered
Classic Minis
35 Posts
I'm new to this whole subject, but isn't a big benefit of electric to get the motor to provide the high torque rather than have a gearbox? Or maybe the 'gearbox' is for easy of matching or coupling?
That's just personally what I wanted. Hadn't really seen it done too many times in a Mini this way and wanted to be able to row the gears, and have a much much higher top speed and use the mechanical advantage of the gearbox. Brand new gearbox with LSD built is not that expensive here and readily available in a few days, the rest of the parts I have on the shelf. And also again, more often then not, I'm seeing everyone limit the torque output substantially on a Mini. We have built quite a few that were 140 torque to the wheels, but that didn't come in till around 4500 rpms or so. So there will be some fine tuning for sure to dial in usable torque.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's just personally what I wanted. Hadn't really seen it done too many times in a Mini this way and wanted to be able to row the gears, and have a much much higher top speed and use the mechanical advantage of the gearbox. Brand new gearbox with LSD built is not that expensive here and readily available in a few days, the rest of the parts I have on the shelf. And also again, more often then not, I'm seeing everyone limit the torque output substantially on a Mini. We have built quite a few that were 140 torque to the wheels, but that didn't come in till around 4500 rpms or so. So there will be some fine tuning for sure to dial in usable torque.
Looking at ecoclassics the are very well qualified to advise you I'm sure, as you need to match the electric motor torque curve to your performance ambitions. In the end, the output power - electric or ICE - will determine the max speed etc. They look like really knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know one or one and a half things and Nick at Ecoclassics knocked me out of the water.
He previously worked at Ford to electrify the Transit. His contacts have proved invaluable and in all honesty he thinks on a different plane to everyone I had previously spoken to.
I drove his EV Westfield Lotus and it was like driving an ICE car hitting its sweetspot at all times!
I worked in the past for Rolls Royce, and as I said I have built a few cars myself but I am genuinely thrilled to be part of his project!
If my Mini reacts anything like his Lotus I will be happy!
I should probably add that I have been lucky enough to own a Lotus Exige, an Ultima, a couple of M3's, a 6.3 Cobra, two motorbike engined race cars and the like, and his package blew them away in terms of grin!!
I am an excited bunny!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know one or one and a half things and Nick at Ecoclassics knocked me out of the water.
He previously worked at Ford to electrify the Transit. His contacts have proved invaluable and in all honesty he thinks on a different plane to everyone I had previously spoken to.
I drove his EV Westfield Lotus and it was like driving an ICE car hitting its sweetspot at all times!
I worked in the past for Rolls Royce, and as I said I have built a few cars myself but I am genuinely thrilled to be part of his project!
If my Mini reacts anything like his Lotus I will be happy!
I should probably add that I have been lucky enough to own a Lotus Exige, an Ultima, a couple of M3's, a 6.3 Cobra, two motorbike engined race cars and the like, and his package blew them away in terms of grin!!
I am an excited bunny!
Look forward to seeing the result. Shoulld be good!

·
Registered
1971 Mini Marcos, Outlander Meiden Motor, Meiden Inverter
93 Posts
Welcome on board. I've seen the videos that eco classics have posted with the white mini. Is that yours?
I'm currently very slowly trying to convert my mk4 mini marcos to electric. I'm using an outlander rear motor and as much of the other electrical components from it too.
There seems to be quite a few people looking at converting the good old mini.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No unfortunately the white one is not mine, it is a racer.
Mine is a stock Mk1, if it ever gets back from the painters!
An electric Marcos has a similar appeal if you ask me!
I was sold on the idea once I drove the Ecoclassics demo car.

·
Registered
1971 Mini Marcos, Outlander Meiden Motor, Meiden Inverter
93 Posts
Nice one I look forward to seeing progress. I'm only over the bridge from you in bristol so once were out of this covid mess would be great to meet up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts