DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am building the paul and sabrina ineverter board myself, based on the instructions here: https://www.instructables.com/id/200kW-AC-Motor-Controller-for-Electric-Car/

I have encountered an issue. I'm wondering if anyone out there can help. I am very inexperienced with electronices and am using this project to learn. So if you can help with this specific board or with electronics in general, I'd really appreciate the help.

The issue is: i am unable to program the ATTiny 25 chip (using the avrisp mkii) because it is not receiving 5v. Because the avrisp doesn't supply 5v, this has to be supplied by the board (I have programmed this attiny 25 chip externally to the board, so I know that much).

The board requires 24v, which I have passed in, which goes almost immediately to a DC-DC converter, which should in turn output 5v. The converter outputs 5v correctley when not in the board, but when in the board, it outputs 0.05v. The circuit in question is attached.

So the question is: Why does the buckconverter output 5v correctly when not on the board, but when in the board, doesn't behave the same?

As I mentioned, I'm a novice so please ask for clarification if I haven't explained.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there.

Seems like a very straightforward short circuit. Leave the Attiny chip out of circuit and test the 5volt line with a small load (Maybe a Led etc.) Make sure it is available all over the board (eg. power supply to chips). Would you by any chance have blown the ATtiny. ? Try another one as there cheap as 'chips' ( Pardon pun)

Regards
Stephen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response! I was afraid that was the issue! The board itself contains several chips. It's just the ATTiny that i have to program. I guess the short circuit could be hiding in any one of them, and any one of them could be blown at this point. I'm going to have to think of a strategy for tracking it down, hopefully without having to take them all off!

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I would be measuring 5v rail before anything drastic. Take exact reading.

Then remove suspect ATiny. See if 5V rail gets even a little larger. Dare I say it's all part of the fun !!

Regards
Stephen

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Had the same problem, but after removing all the mosfet drivers (IXDI604SI, 6 for the isolated supplies) the regulation circuit worked fine. I looked over the BOM and the schematic and pcb, and the part numbers dont line up, e.g., IXDI vs IXDN. Not sure it makes any difference since it just drives a pwm signal, but it got me thinking what else might be wrong with whole thing. I just ordered some replacement mosfet drivers and will be populating and testing one by one to try and troubleshoot it myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An update on my end, I've got 5v and 24v working on the board. This is also includes the isolated gate driver supplies (24v, or +15v, -8V). I'll keep this thread posted on the process.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone,
I'm now (yes, it's been a while) testing the resolver to digital converter on the board, but i'm unable to find the

'stream-rotor-flux-angle'

command in the software, but the documentation states that it's there. This leads me to believe that my current version of the software doesn't contain support for resolver. I have checked on github, and this command isn't there either.

Does anyone have an updated version of the software which supports this command?

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response!

This is a really great resource.

I've asked paul, and he recommended using:

stream-poscnt 1

This did the trick!, It now displays a stream as I move the motor by hand. Success!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts