DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what type of battery pack this is (lead, li-?) and where it came from?

there are 9cells and 19cell in series setup. each cell is 7.5v as it - the actual voltage is unknown. 9cells x 7.5v = 67.5v and the 19cells x 7.5v = 142.5V. cells has this qr code and they are serialized - no qr codes are the same. no other p/n to identify it. it's about 70lbs and thinking of lay it on top of the scooter to extend some range. it works out to be 7s4p @48v once re-configured. also what the typical price range for this whole unit or individual cell - once it is identified of course? thanks

side note: i don't' have a picture here but some of the terminals are corroded like the car battery terminals. is this say something about the condition of the pack?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
It has about the right overall voltage to be from a non-plug-in hybrid, perhaps a Toyota. I don't think there's any 7.5V per cell chemistry in cars, so those units are likely 2S lithium or 6S NiMH modules. And sure enough, it looks just like the image in this: Toyota Prius Battery Pack. There are lots of images online of Prius packs - that one just shows the same details to confirm that it is the same battery.

Some detail on this battery (the one from the second generation Prius), from the Wikipedia article:
"The Second Generation Prius contains a 1.310 kWh battery, composed of 28 modules. Each battery module is made of 6 individual 1.2 V 6.5 Ah Prismatic NiMH cells in series forming a 7.2 V 6.5 Ah module with 46 Wh/kg energy density and 1.3 kW/kg output power density. Each module contains an integrated charge controller and relay. These modules are connected 28 in series to form a 201.6 V 6.5 Ah battery (traction battery), also known as the energy storage system."​

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
side note: i don't' have a picture here but some of the terminals are corroded like the car battery terminals. is this say something about the condition of the pack?
Dorman supplies rebuilt replacement Prius packs, and notes:
"Original hybrid battery bus bars quickly corrode, leading to electrical failure. This Dorman OE FIX battery pack is upgraded with nickel-plated bus bars and soldered safety disconnect terminals to prevent corrosion and ensure conductivity."​

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
does anyone know what type of battery pack this is (lead, li-?) and where it came from?
NiMH from a second-generation (2004-2009) Toyota Prius.

there are 9cells and 19cell in series setup. each cell is 7.5v as it - the actual voltage is unknown. 9cells x 7.5v = 67.5v and the 19cells x 7.5v = 142.5V.
Those are modules, not cells. So the entire pack is composed of 28 modules in series, and each module is a 6S1P set of nominally 1.2 volt NiMH cells, for a module nominal voltage of 7.2V and a pack nominal voltage of 202 volts.

it works out to be 7s4p @48v once re-configured.
7 modules in series by four modules in parallel would have a nominal voltage of 50.4 volts and (if Wikipedia this Amazon listing for a single module is correct) 26 Ah, for a nominal energy capacity of 1.3 kW but the Prius only uses 400 Wh for reliability.

also what the typical price range for this whole unit or individual cell - once it is identified of course?
I don't think it's useful for any EV, but in case you want to sell it, used (not rebuilt) second-gen Prius batteries should be easy to search for online. Apparently individual modules can be replaced, so they have some value even individually. On the other hand, commercially remanufactured complete batteries are not very expensive, so not many Prius owners would mess with rebuilding one. The modules seem more useful to me for some sort of small equipment, and the power capacity is good but the energy capacity is low compared to any lithium-ion cell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NiMH from a second-generation (2004-2009) Toyota Prius.
thanks for the quick detective work and clarifications.

7 modules in series by four modules in parallel would have a nominal voltage of 50.4 volts and (if Wikipedia this Amazon listing for a single module is correct) 26 Ah, for a nominal energy capacity of 1.3 kW but the Prius only uses 400 Wh for reliability.
could you please explain the comparison here? i'm not well verse with 1.3kW vs 400Wh

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
could you please explain the comparison here? i'm not well verse with 1.3kW vs 400Wh
If fully charged, then discharged as far as safely possible, the battery would deliver 1,300 watt-hours. Toyota never charges the battery up fully, and never lets it get fully discharged, so they only get 400 watt-hours out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts