DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sleeve Textile Font Wall T-shirt

Hello, folks.
Could you please help me figure out the socket type that can be used for this bolt?
This isn't external star, torx or torx-plus.

(This is for the A/C compressor.)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
I would have guessed Torx Plus, but perhaps not, since you've presumably already tried that to eliminate it.

And it looks like an internal (not external) drive requiring a bit, but photos can be deceptive; since you're talking about external and asking about a socket, I assume that this an externally driven bolt head that just doesn't look right to me from this angle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've tried the torx plus socket and it didn't work. Looking further into it, as you see the "valleys" of the torx plus
are much narrower and sharper on my bolt than on torx-plus.
Light Black Font Circle Symbol

Regarding the external vs internal. I believe it's external as it requires a socket vs a driver. Here's how I differentiate external vs internal on torx-plus. Following this logic, my bolt had an external head.
Internal:
Azure Aqua Plastic bottle Font Circle

External:

Furniture Window Rectangle Tree Art

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be this one from Harbor Fright:

View attachment 129611

Why are you taking the compressor apart?
These are drivers, I need a socket.

I've got it for free. It's a Denso ESA34c compressor. Not the ES34c compressor that I see a lot of info about.
I'm opening just the wiring/PCB side to see if it's pwm or CAN bus controlled.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
As was noted in @MattsAwesomeStuff's Prius scavenging thread, just look for twisted wire pairs in the harness of the compressor's electrical connector -- that will say it's CAN.

I'm confused on why you need a socket for the screw you had pictured. Oh, wait...lol...this is one of those illusions where it can look inverted. If you can't find it, dremel/mill a slot into the bolt head and use an impact driver to get the screw out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As was noted in @MattsAwesomeStuff's Prius scavenging thread, just look for twisted wire pairs in the harness of the compressor's electrical connector -- that will say it's CAN.
It is missing LV connector. Though the wires coming out aren't twisted.
Textile Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

I'm confused on why you need a socket for the screw you had pictured. Oh, wait...lol...this is one of those illusions where it can look inverted. If you can't find it, dremel/mill a slot into the bolt head and use an impact driver to get the screw out.
Here's the same screw from a different angle. The wiring/PCB cover uses several of these.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Regarding the external vs internal. I believe it's external as it requires a socket vs a driver. Here's how I differentiate external vs internal on torx-plus. Following this logic, my bolt had an external head.
Internal:
View attachment 129609
External:

View attachment 129608
Here's the same screw from a different angle. The wiring/PCB cover uses several of these.
View attachment 129623
Thanks. Yes, definitely external and I was just caught by an optical illusion in the previous angle (which shows the drive form better, so it was the right one to provide with the question :))

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
It is missing LV connector. Though the wires coming out aren't twisted.
View attachment 129622
It appears from a quick search that this model - Denso ESA34c - was used in the 2012-2018 Ford Focus Electric, and an eBay listing for a used unit shows another connector above this one, with two substantial pins. Presumably that other connector is for DC power supply (traction battery voltage - this compressor is used in the Focus EV version), and this one is indeed just the low voltage control connection. The cabling doesn't look typical of CAN practices (although I am certainly no expert in that), suggesting PWM control instead, but that's only a guess (and a flashback to the nightmare of my non-EV Focus charging system, in which someone decided that maximum complexity and minimum quality were a good combination).

A Focus Electric service manual with electrical diagrams might be a good source of information about the connection of this unit to the car, even if this particular unit came out of a different vehicle.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Or use her trick 😂

She's a bit of a hack, but given the training, schooling, and respect they give girls over there, she's brilliant.

An interesting channel watch as you're eating dinner. Just try to ignore her arc welding techniques 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, that optical illusion threw me off, too.

Being external and in an accessible location, it shouldn't be hard to remove with vice grips or channel locks. Then just go to the hardware store and match the threads to a replacement with a more sensible head.
Probably good bet at this point. I do want to put it back together and torque when/if I figure out how it works.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts