DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this little car available to me locally. The owner bought it in a storage auction and "thinks" it is called a clever car. It's missing batteries and has been sitting in his yard for about the last 8 years. I googled every combination of clever car as well as image searches and came up with nothing. It is rear wheel drive with a conventional rear solid axle. I'm really curious as to the specs on the motor, controller, etc to see if it will work for a project I have in mind. I would appreciate any help IDing it!!
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe try a search for 2012 Smart Car EV
It does look a little similar to a SmartCar, but different than the ones I looked at on line. Are you saying you recognized it as part of the SmartCar line up or did you just mention 2012 based on me saying 8 years?

From what the owner says it is Chinese made and sold by a few different sellers with their own name on it. It does not have a full VIN number for road use in The U.S. He had planned on doing the legwork to get a U.S. title for it and making it road legal, but never followed through.

Either way thanks for your input!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Reminds me of the Flybo cars of which only a few dozen made it on the road in the US

Backend is wrong for a Kewet but I’m not familiar with all the years

After Checking my old posts...
Yep definitely the infamous Flybo, very few made it to those who paid, lots of discussion about the cars but not a lot of schematics or tech info.
Best to reach out to former/current owners

Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks like a Wheego.
There was a lead-acid version first, and then in 2011 they produced a lithium version. I got an early peek at the DC auto show in 2010 or 2011 and then drove one later on. while the performance was compromised as it was locked in like 3rd gear and the donor choice was super duper cheap, the range numbers were competitive for its time. it was fit with voltronix (thundersky) battery pack, flux bms, chinese charger and an HPEVS AC50 motor or similar.

I modeled our miata build after these components as they were actually available to the public. Turns out the flux bms was/is total garbage and it killed our $12k pack. along with horribly incorrect advice from their staff who told us we could charge the cells below freezing. for many years they professed this. #bleedingedge The other equipment was great, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok - that's totally the car. like some kind of copycat, even cheaper than the wheego. the other flybo link (above) was def not the model. well done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help everyone. With the current state of affairs I think things will be put on hold for a bit :(
I will come back here and update when I get things rolling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well said! ... as for me (the optimist that I am) ... I am thinking of transportation technology needs, post COVID-19 and the new economy ... it will be interesting times for all ... everyone stay safe and healthy! r/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts