DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to know what weight vehicles the motors currently on the market could reliably move certain weights through the mountains and down the highway for extended periods. For comparison reasons let's assume the motors are geared so that the vehicle travels at 90mph with the motor at max RPM without a transmission. We can also assume that the motors are the bottlenecks, not batteries or controllers. Also what would be the effect of doubling the motors, would it truly double the weight capacity?

I want to know because I want to build a hybrid pickup and I want to know what kind of motors I need to get tow ratings comparable to ICE pickups. Right now I'm thinking a 4000lb 1/4 ton truck and I want it to tow 6000lbs but that could change based off what I learn in this thread. Using two would be ideal (maybe warp9s?).

·
Administrator
6,236 Posts
Adam
You are talking moving heavy vehicles through mountains at high speeds - that is going to need in the order of 200Kw - continous

A Warp 9 is just a 9 inch forklift motor - capable of a LOT of power fro short bursts but maybe 25Kw continuous
I don't think even the Tesla motors can do 200Kw continuous

There are electric motors capable of that sort of output - but they will be very heavy - think train motors

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can use something like this: https://www.tm4.com/products/direct-drive-electric-powertrain/sumo-md/

But if you have a motor powerful enough, you will fastly discover that the bottlenecks are the batteries.
Finally, if you think than a hybrid system will be the key of all your plan, do you maths another time or simply ask Viamotor why isn't that easy...
I did notice that VIA motors states a maximum payload as 1000lbs. Weaksauce. Totally ruins the idea of a full size pickup. unless of course your delivering 6 1/2ft by 5ft blocks of feathers, of course. Why do you think this is? Would you say its the motor not being able to sustain a continous output or would it be that the 115kw generator can't keep up? Interestingly the workhorse pickup cites a maximum towing capacity of 5000lbs. What size/type of motors do you think it uses? It has two.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I did notice that VIA motors states a maximum payload as 1000lbs. Weaksauce. Totally ruins the idea of a full size pickup. unless of course your delivering 6 1/2ft by 5ft blocks of feathers, of course. Why do you think this is? Would you say its the motor not being able to sustain a continous output or would it be that the 115kw generator can't keep up? Interestingly the workhorse pickup cites a maximum towing capacity of 5000lbs. What size/type of motors do you think it uses? It has two.
Are you considering AC or DC for your motor? Im quite sure a Tesla powerplant and battery pack would make for a fine Pickup that could do some serious runs for the money with a full payload.

As for me. Im going AC with my VW Bus which by the way is rated as a full 1 ton payload truck. Im quite sure the little AC-35 and the stock gearing will do just fine pulling a full load down the freeway. If the dinky little 32hp motor that came with the Bus can, this little AC-35 will do much better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Adam
You are talking moving heavy vehicles through mountains at high speeds - that is going to need in the order of 200Kw - continous

A Warp 9 is just a 9 inch forklift motor - capable of a LOT of power fro short bursts but maybe 25Kw continuous
I don't think even the Tesla motors can do 200Kw continuous

There are electric motors capable of that sort of output - but they will be very heavy - think train motors
Actually work is from torque not power.
Thats why people use gearboxes.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Actually work is from torque not power.
Thats why people use gearboxes.
No, the rate of doing work is the very definition of power. Duncan's observations (of ten months ago) about power requirements are perfectly appropriate.

Gearboxes are certainly useful, to allow the motor to run at a suitable speed for the motor, which the axle turns at the speed required by the speed of the vehicle. Gearing is an additional concern, but power is the primary concern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts