DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I saw a post on here about someone who uses a paper clip or something like that to short out the HV safety switch cause his battery pack did not come with the plug and then proceeds to power up the Nissan Leaf battery pack outside the car using some black voodoo wizardry, if you recall seeing that too could you help me find it

·
Registered
1971 GMC 1500
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly, with the BMS not operational it is very dangerous to use the pack. You need to send the CAN commands to wake it up!
guys I am not trying to argue here, I am just trying to learn, I know guys who have run these batteries in their EV Conversions for years without BMS, so why wouldn't we be able to "Turn them On" for a few seconds to get the Voltage reading? no one said anything about "using the pack"

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Of course no BMS is possible.

Conservative charging to avoid a BMS means not getting max capacity out of a pack and slow-azz charging.

Also depends on if you want to take a chance on being another EV fire statistic and how many charge cycles you want out of your $ ten grand.

Hookers and blow is a much more fun way to throw that kind of money away 😂

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
You don't have to use the stock BMS with them. I have a small 48volt power wall stacking 7S 2P modules and use a nice little BMS to monitor them and to shut off when it reaches a specific charge and discharge voltage. All my leaf modules are well balanced within each module and from module to module. Only found one bad module out of 130 of these puppies. I only charge to 4.15 volts per module half so 8.3 volts per module at cut off. Pretty easy. Yes, you do need some smarts. I have a redundant setup. I run through the charge controller and the BMS. Charge controller monitors max pack voltage and the BMS monitors cell voltages. Shuts off when a cell reaches a specified voltage. Charge controller is there for backup if the BMS fails. No more fires. Leaf modules are great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts