DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there
I have a dream of tesla swapping a 370z. Do you guys think an ambitious 18 year old with no mechanical experience would be able to do something like that? If not how could i make it possible

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello there
I have a dream of tesla swapping a 370z. Do you guys think an ambitious 18 year old with no mechanical experience would be able to do something like that? If not how could i make it possible
Make a list of the skills needed for this job.
Take an assessment of the skills you do have..
Be realistic about how much money and time you have to spend and how long the project is able to continue.
Team with others that have the skills you don't have and aren't willing/able to learn.
As a rough guess, it would be very hard to do with out skills in the following areas.
1. Computers and CAN protocol. (both for the Tesla batteries and motor, and the current 370Z)
2. Wiring and understanding of electricity, amps, volts and what that implies
3. Mechanical tools and skills for basic fabrication. The motor and battery has to be securely attached to the car.
4 Optional, but extremely helpful to have welding skills. Many times its better to weld than bolt something on..
I'm sure there are more skills others will list.
Biil

·
Registered
73 Posts
So am i able to learn any of the points you mentioned online?
Assuming you have a 370Z in working order and a computer with a CAN interface, you can learn quite a bit through a combination of online and experimentation.
You can also learn a lot about electricity and wiring with some simple kits combine with on-line stuff. Mark-Rober's engineering courses would be be good place to start and safe.
Basic mechanical skills are picked up over time and practice. Get an old car that doesn't run and make it run.
Welding is mostly practice. No amount of on-line learning will substitute for holding the stick and 'stiching' the metal together..
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming you have a 370Z in working order and a computer with a CAN interface, you can learn quite a bit through a combination of online and experimentation.
You can also learn a lot about electricity and wiring with some simple kits combine with on-line stuff. Mark-Rober's engineering courses would be be good place to start and safe.
Basic mechanical skills are picked up over time and practice. Get an old car that doesn't run and make it run.
Welding is mostly practice. No amount of on-line learning will substitute for holding the stick and 'stiching' the metal together..
Bill
So if i use the next half year or so, learning about the 4 different points you mentioned. Would you think i would be able to do it? If so, do i need a real garage with all the fancy lifts to do it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
So if i use the next half year or so, learning about the 4 different points you mentioned. Would you think i would be able to do it? If so, do i need a real garage with all the fancy lifts to do it?
Since I have no idea how fast you can learn, I'd have no way to even guess. I'd take on a smaller project, like a go-kart or motor scooter and see how it goes, along with understanding
the CAN bus messages on the 270Z. The voltages can be lower on the smaller projects and you can learn on something that won't kill. You'll need a lot of the same tools. A 'real' garage with
all the 'fancy lifts' make things easier, faster and generally safer. However, most anything can be done if you have sufficient creativity and will.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts