DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Anyone that has attempted to restore a Cushman electric vehicle understands the frustration and difficulty of needing a replacement part only to discover that the part is no longer available for purchase.
while a 100% 'restoration' with original spec parts may not be possible, why can't you use a modern controller to re-build a fully operational vehicle? The few remaining 100% historic units become museum pieces, or you re-build with modern parts for operational vehicles...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

Fair question. I suspect that most Minute Miser owners which includes some collectors as well as industrial businesses, will either not have the ambition or skills to both manufacture a switch and as well, potentially rewire their vehicles.

The Furnance J6342 switch, many of which are 50 years young and still performing to spec, were built exactly for the battery amps and DC current draw of the vehicle .8hp electric motors. Hubbell-ICD has over 75% of the subcomponent parts available to make the original equipment switch so simplest thing - in my mind - is to use the original equipment for both daily operational vehicles and the collectors "Trailor Queens".

Thank you for your support.

John

G

·
The reason for original is just that. It is an original restoration that is usable. They were perfectly suited for use with original equipment that there really is no reason to convert to modern. Modern however would be best. Converting to modern is really really easy. I'd day easier than restoring an original contact assembly.

Best to find good original equipment to restore a project. Some projects are only good for parts anyway. Look for those. The electrical system does not have to come directly from a vehicle like yours. Many vehicles were electric with exactly the same equipment. Much was common industrial electric cart equipment. Common back in the day. I am sure if you are savvy you could even find some NOS parts too. I always look.

http://greenev.zapto.org/cushman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.