DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The slot through the middle suggests that this pack was designed to fit under an existing vehicle structure (that's presumably clearance for a crossmember), but it's obviously an OEM product rather than a conversion. It looks like it has cooling fans at the back, so it wouldn't be liquid-cooled. Something European (e.g Renault) perhaps?

It's not from a BMW i3 or anything Tesla.
It's not from a Nissan Leaf, Kia Soul EV, Hyundai Kona EV, Chevrolet Volt Spark or Bolt, Smart, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Audi e-tron, or recent Renault Zoe and I'm pretty sure it's not from a VW eGolf, Ford Focus Electric, or Fiat 500e, although they are all adapted from existing platforms.

If you have access to the pack - not just this image - there should be some sort of useful label.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have access presently. We are trying to get more info on it. Long story.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Looks pretty damned similar to the SOUL EV, which are apparently LiPos, a little less symetric:

View attachment 122082
Yes, it looks roughly like most of the underfloor packs which are shaped to bump up into available space under the seats, and I thought of Kia/Hyundai because of the forced air cooling, but none of the details appear to match the Soul (or Kona).

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
My hunch was Tesla Roadster, which is basically just a Lotus Elise.

That fits the "regular car, but looks like a conversion, but is still oem" theme, and they look small...

Researching...

Nope, they had a wall of trunk batteries, not a skateboard.
Yeah, wrong shape, but also this pack looks way too long for an Elise or even the slightly stretched Roadster. It has to be from something with a back seat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My hunch was Tesla Roadster, which is basically just a Lotus Elise.

That fits the "regular car, but looks like a conversion, but is still oem" theme, and they look small...

Researching...

Nope, they had a wall of trunk batteries, not a skateboard.
Yea you're right. I've seen the roadster's battery first hand before. Doesnt look like this one bit.

I have a feeling this might be from an OEM other than the traditional global ones we are familiar with who makes a lot of EVs.

My guess is probably a Chinese OEM; not necessarily BYD, China had a few hundred EV companies...

·
Registered
165 Posts
The slot through the middle suggests that this pack was designed to fit under an existing vehicle structure (that's presumably clearance for a crossmember), but it's obviously an OEM product rather than a conversion. It looks like it has cooling fans at the back, so it wouldn't be liquid-cooled. Something European (e.g Renault) perhaps?

It's not from a BMW i3 or anything Tesla.
It's not from a Nissan Leaf, Kia Soul EV, Hyundai Kona EV, Chevrolet Volt Spark or Bolt, Smart, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Audi e-tron, or recent Renault Zoe and I'm pretty sure it's not from a VW eGolf, Ford Focus Electric, or Fiat 500e, although they are all adapted from existing platforms.

If you have access to the pack - not just this image - there should be some sort of useful label.
I watched a YouTube video on a car that has a battery pack exactly like this. Built around an ICE frame, only a few hundred or a few thousand produced, and the prismatic cells were entirely air cooled (and heated) so efficiency was terrible. I'm gonna see if I can find that video now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't think it is the Coda. Am wondering if this is a prototype.
I suspect not since these are supposedly end of use modules.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those are Honda Fit EV battery packs. They are very rare since the vehicles were lease only in 2013-2014 IIRC.

If you aren't interested in them or only want one, I'd love to pick up one or both. Please PM me with additional details if you're willing. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts