DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! Looking for some guidance on this motor. I have the opportunity to get this for free. Lets start with problem 1, no idea if it works.

Once in hand I plan to check the bearings, windings and use an ohmmeter to check resistance (one to ground, then test each lead). Other than that, any quick tests to see if its functional? If that all checks out my next step would be to power it up?

Problem 2 - Actually using it in a build. My plan would be to use it in a go-kart or other similar type smaller vehicle, not a car. Idea to be keeping it a simple build. Problem is a controller for the motor? Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
That is a 230V 3phase AC induction motor. To run from a battery, you'd need like ~300Vdc and a variable frequency drive (controller). It is not worth the trouble, IMO.

major

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, understand I need to have the battery pack built and ready to truly test it. I am guessing its more of a hassle to get the controller / VFD in the right configurations?

If I go through the trouble of all that and the motor does NOT work that would be disappointing. Any idea on other test I can do besides a pull power up?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Forget about this motor. Look for something else like a low voltage DC motor. See the fork lift motor sticky thread.

·
Registered
735 Posts
ESS, I'm detecting a distinct lack of human intelligence in your posts here. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're just a troll, maybe you are one of the best AI bots I've ever encountered.

Whatever the case, you should first consider going through the search feature on this forum with your ideas, guidance requests, and opportunities. This could save you, and other bots and people, a lot of time and effort. For instance, Major and others have responded to questions about using an industrial induction motor in EV applications many times on this forum-check the search feature. If you really are an AI creation, you really need to up your game here. I can't believe I just wrote that! Am I too falling into the trap?

Think about it, or run it through your ROM.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
If the idea is just to use a free motor, there would be much easier choices. If the idea is to try an AC motor at low cost, then I can see using an industrial motor... but this one is too big for a kart. As major mentioned, it needs a lot of voltage to produce useful power, which makes it impractical for small vehicle, and means that the smaller AC controllers won't work. Motors can be rewound for a different voltage, but that would be quite a bit of work for a motor which would still be excessively large for a small vehicle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forget about this motor. Look for something else like a low voltage DC motor. See the fork lift motor sticky thread.

Thanks! Appreciate it! Wanted to see if this was a good target of opportunity since it was literally at my feet

If the idea is just to use a free motor, there would be much easier choices. If the idea is to try an AC motor at low cost, then I can see using an industrial motor... but this one is too big for a kart. As major mentioned, it needs a lot of voltage to produce useful power, which makes it impractical for small vehicle, and means that the smaller AC controllers won't work. Motors can be rewound for a different voltage, but that would be quite a bit of work for a motor which would still be excessively large for a small vehicle.

As I said above, this was literally at my feet. I was not actively searching for something to use but wanted to take advantage if I could. I passed on it based on the advice from major being it was more trouble than its worth. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up something worthwhile. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
735 Posts
You are just amazing! The progress you've made since your first posts is beyond belief! Keep up the good work and someday you too could be a real DIY EVer! Have you looked at other motors?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know my human intelligence is lacking so I cannot pick up on your sarcasm. I also know that I don't know how to use the search function, but even I managed to read and find :

I just thought I might add some guidelines for how to answer the newbie questions that occur everyday here on DIY electric car. Obviously these new members can sometimes be unrealistic (eg. free energy, cheap 400 mile ranges etc) and need to know what is possible, but i think we can do that in a constructive way, without turning people off the idea of the electric car (or these forums) for good. Here are my suggestions (which i am trying to follow) :
  • Offer a solution not a problem: this is focusing around being constructive rather than destructive. For example if someone is convinced that free energy is the way of the future then maybe suggest that efficiency is a much better thing to focus on (and explain why) or if they aren't persuaded by conservation of energy then encourage them build it and prove us wrong, that we would love to see that happen but don't want to see them waste their time. If they do build it and it fails we have some anecdotal but experimental evidence to show others that it doesn't work, and if they do find a way to do it then 'woohoo free energy!' :p.
  • Don't assume a budget unless they tell you, even then it might have some 'wiggle room': We are going to have people on this website that can only afford to do a simple lead acid conversion with a fairly limited range (a lot of us fall into that category) but we should not assume that every newbie will have such limitations. There are going to be some people that come onto this site with fairly high budgets wanting to make an ultimate EV and might not say so at first. If someone asks 'what would it take to get a 100 mile range, don't just say its impossible with lead acid and too expensive for lithiums. Give them their options; a heavily modded streamlined pickup with a tonne of lead might make it that far if driven very conservatively, Lithiums will get you that far and probably cost '$xxxx for that vehicle and the price is coming down etc. Presenting them with the options allows them to decide what is too expensive.
  • Don't assume a performance goal is non-negotiable: I think generally people will come to this site with over-optimistic goals for their conversion but that doesn't mean they aren't willing to alter them for a cheaper cost or easier construction, where there needs to be a balance between for example cost versus range it is usually better to make the choice obvious and let them decide. I remember talking to someone who overstated their range requirements to make sure we were considering all the factors, people generally negotiate down their high range goals when they see the cost of batteries.
  • Don't say anything as if they should know it: There shouldn't be any required knowledge for people on this site, we should allow the newbiest of noobs to get a start here and let them judge whether or not they are capable of doing their conversion. If people didn't pay attention in high school physics it doesn't mean they can't do a conversion... they just need more help.
  • If you don't have something constructive to say then don't say anything: Pretty self explanatory, if you can't see the person on the other end describing what you are saying as helpful then its probably better not to say it. We have a lot of people on the site who are capable of answering questions, so it doesn't have to be you if you can't do it positively. There are some types of questions that I sometimes avoid answering because I they come up so much I can't do it without being rude. When that's the case I try and write a wiki topic on it instead so I can be less frustrated in the future.
I think that's a pretty good start, do you think those are reasonable? Does anyone else have any suggestions? As I said these are just guidelines, they won't be enforced or anything but will make new people feel welcomed and helped no matter their experience levels.

·
Registered
735 Posts
"I know my human intelligence is lacking so I cannot pick up on your sarcasm."

Sounds like bot speak to me. Why don't you come flat out and tell us if you are a bot or not. If not, please tell us more about yourself or if you are, more about the actual human that's behind you. The quote you site from this forum is from almost 11 years ago. A time, I'm guessing, when there were very few bots on the internet. Now, according to Wikipedia:

"More than half of all web traffic is made up of bots."

So, please understand my skepticism

1 - 10 of 10 Posts