DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H

I have started a conversion for a classic motorbike ( Kawasaki KH 250 ) and some time ago bought a motor from Golden Motor. It is the 10KW ( rated 8-20kw BLDC 48v ) air cooled version. and the trick to the conversion is to "hide everything so the bike looks standard. The motor fits pretty well in the heavily machined crankcases ( pic attached ).
I now wanted to order the rest of the kit and the companies LFP4820M batteries ( LiFePO4 dims are 150 by 150 by 300 ) fit well under the seat and tank ( I cold get 4 in ) They have a peak out put of 60 amps. I could widen the frame to say 200mm if there was a better battery choice.

I was about to order them and the rest of the kit but have now been told that the batteries have to be charged one at a time and that there is no form of display I can plug in to give the usual read out of remaining range etc etc so Im not impressed !

I am happy to buy the batteries , LiFePO4 but I need to source a onboard charger that can charge them and I guess a controller which has a plug in port for a heads up display ( which I would mount in the rev counter clock housing so limited to about 100mm in width.

Can anyone advise on the technical aspects and a potential supplier ?

Many thanks

Simon

Motor spec
Model: HPM-10KW -- High Power BLDC Motor
Voltage:48V/72V/96V/120V
Rated Power:8KW-20KW
Efficeincy: 91%
Phase Resistance (Milliohm): 3.1/48V; 6.0/72V; 18.0/120V
Phase Induction(100KHZ): 34uH/48V; 77uH/72V; 252uH/120v

·
Registered
395 Posts
Kool concept!
How are you going to disguise the right side & also maintain the fan cooling?

As far a battery pack, according to 48V data sheet for that motor is rated
Rated U: 48V
Rated I: 250A
Rated P: 10,000W
Rated N: 3,500 RPM

...the Test Curve has some useful info too

I would say your going to need a lot more "peak output" than 60A

I'm running a 8,000W brushed motor on my El Moto
...with a 48V 2kWh section of a Chevy Volt battery pack

I've seen needle on the meter pointing ~200A many times

Check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
as I mentioned I can 4 of the packs in so that 240 amps peak or 160 amps continuous. Theres plenty of space on the RHS for ventilation and the motor is open at the bottom and top ( although its well hidden by the carbs etc.
Im not building the bike for speed or duration so ultimate performance is not a factor. I just like building triples !.

Cool video !

Any idea on who to contact ?

Cheers

Simon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts