DIY Electric Car Forums banner

help with canbus

3068 Views 34 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  DMPstar
I need help figuring out why my Hyper 9's are complaining about canbus errors.

I have 2 hyper 9's, Orion BMS 2 (which is communicating very happily on the canbus even after the Hyper 9's shut down), Elcon charger, Elcon DC/DC.

I've got 120 ohms on the Elcon charger terminating one end of my network. The 120 ohm resistor in the Orion has vanished, so I put a 120 ohm resistor on the connector to it as termination of the other 'end'. The Hyper 9's and Canbus to USB adapter are in the middle.

Everything is working great, green lights and no faults on the Hyper 9's and the Orion until I hit the throttle, and then the Hyper 9's throw a series of errors relating to protocols - which I understand means canbus has failed.

Any thoughts?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for that clarification. But, there's no ground coming out of the Elcon or the Orion - or the Hyper 9's with the high and low wires. Each is grounded to the frame using the ground wire available to the case or in the harness. My connectors all have an extra pin, I could run a third wire and connect it to 12v ground - which the Orion and Elcon and Hyper 9's are connected to.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the Hyper 9's, I have K1-1 (black with blue stripe) grounded. Although that diagram shows a lot of grounds, they are all the same pin on K1. the only other ground is K1-12 - and it's the thermistor ground.

On the Elcon charger, there is one pair coming out other than CAN, a black ground to the chassis, and a red wire that gets +12 to enable charging.

On the Elcon DC/DC. I am not currently using CAN, we are just using the Enable line in that connector

On the Orion BMS, I have the chassis of the BMS grounded to the frame. The big connector goes to the Hawkeye SCM and the SCM is also grounded to the frame.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, here's what I'm using for connectors and the resistor I've added in to replace the Orion resistor that's gone away. I've read that using 'friction' connectors is not best, but I can't really solder everything together for a while, and there will always need to be some way to disconnect.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Motor vehicle

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thank you for that, nowhere else I looked said use shielded, but I can. Thanks for the link. Even the Hyper 9 canbus wires coming off the connector are not shielded - but the ones come off the Orion are.

I've read the Orion documentation and I've built the canbus as close to that as possible. And, it has worked in this configuration, and the Orion is totally fine. It's only the Slave Hyper 9 that seems to be having trouble - and I'm not sure what to make of that. As the slave gives up and throws and error, the Orion software continues to read the bus no problem.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Eric Can you give me a little more understanding of "A protocol error isn't a failure to communicate , its signals the system doesn't recognize showing up on the CANBUS." So, if all the elements (Elcon, Orion, Master Hyper 9, Slave Hyper 9) are physically connected, and the Slave is giving a protocol error, then that means it can't see the can bus??? I'm trying to figure out how to debug this. going to go out to day and rearrange the canbus and try to move they Hyper 9 connections as far away from the HV lines as possible (which isn't easy). I had run them for simplicity of wiring the car, but I will change it to keep them away from HV as much as possible.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Okay, I took all the Canbus out of here.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part

Where it used to work and put it here outside the controller box and on the other side of all the HV.

Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire

and now the motors are doing this

So, thanks for the help. It was magic antennas.

Now, I have a wobble in the drive train that I'm guessing is flywheel or clutch induced.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, here's an update. Got the new flange in the rear differential and the new driveline in and a couple of tires on the back. Fired up the Hyper 9's up, spun the tires for the first time - Yea! and when I took my hand off the throttle, the Hyper 9's threw a protocol error. So, I looked at the can bus and realized the Elcon was not connected. Which is interesting, because without the Elcon, there's no terminating resistor at that end - so how did it work at all. And now, with the Elcon connected, The hyper 9's are throwing errors when I first press the throttle again. So, I apparently moved the problem, but did not solve it.

I will post canbus and general schematic shortly.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Okay, did some more playing, pulled the Orion's canbus cable out of a bundle that included the SCM's HV wiring. And I don't get the results. If I unplug the Elcon charger, there's 120 ohms on the canbus, but it works fine, the Hyper 9's accellerate and declerate, no errors.

If I plug the Elcon in (60 ohms resistance), then they Hyper 9's throw a canbus error as soon as I hit the throttle.

Here's some more about how I have it all hooked up.
This is how the Elcon is connected to the network. There is no ground (or shielding) in the Elcon wire.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Engineering

This is how the Orion BMS (black wire at top) has ground and it's attached to the connector). CanAdapter is on the bottom, and wire to the Hyper 9's is on the right. Neither has a ground right now.

Electrician Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Engineering Cable

And here's the Hyper 9's. No ground coming out of the Hyper 9's to connect to. I kept the leads as short as possible and as far away from the HV as possible.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gadget Electronic engineering Cable

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.