DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and would just like to say that the info and help available is awesome! It's nice to see an active and helpful community.

I own an AC Propulsion eBox. (AC Propulsion eBox - Wikipedia.)

I was very lucky to acquire this vehicle. It is a rare piece of EV history with very few made. I'd like to keep it running as it's been my daily driver for 2 years now. It's an awesome car, I love this thing.

Somehow it's lost power or gone into some limp/creep mode. It will move but barely at a crawling pace. I know there are many things that could be wrong and I've been ruling them out for a while now. It has nothing to do with the transmission or anything mechanical. The batteries are original but still fine. The motor turns at an extremely slow pace (you can count the RPM's as you look at it). My guess is that is has something to do with the controller. I'm pretty good at figuring things out most of the time but I'm no electrical engineer. The output voltage form the controller jumps around but I don't know if this is normal. When I give it full throttle I'm only putting out 10 kW according to the instrument panel; it should be more than 70.

I've checked fuses, connections, more fuses, etc. I've taken it about 85% apart and feel like I'm going in circles. I've tried to contact AC Propulsion but they don't support this anymore. If anyone has any advice or input I would be extremely grateful.

Hopefully this is posted in the right place. My apologies if it isn't.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Although it must be a problem with the controller or an input to the controller (perhaps the motor position encoder, or some switch that it needs to see in the right position for normal operation), I can't help with anything specific.

But, wow, that's a nice EV for 2007! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
What a nice car!
And what a shame that the manufacturer doesn't support You. It is only 13 years they built it! If it was Tom Hanks' car, they probably would help. This is an attitude I knew typically from German companies, up to now.
I hope You can solve the problem.
Markus

·
Registered
10 Posts
What sort of battery management system does the car have? What is the state of charge of the batteries and how many miles or charging cycles does the car have?

·
Administrator
6,293 Posts
I suspect that you are going to have to take the controller completely off the car and then try and find an electronics guy to trouble shoot
The controller will almost certainly use three IBGT's - they do have a habit of failing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The batteries should be ok. There are a number of error codes that could come up that have to do with the batteries/charging system and none have. The car doesn't keep track of the number of charge cycles to my knowledge but it does monitor them closely; I can see the voltage/temp of each cell block.

The controller is very easy to remove, I have done so a few times before, takes about 5 minutes or so. I plan on getting it looked at but I'm having a hard time finding a place local. I've just been told through another source that the encoder on the motor might be failing. I will check that next.

Thank you for all the responses.(y)

·
Administrator
6,293 Posts
The batteries should be ok. There are a number of error codes that could come up that have to do with the batteries/charging system and none have. The car doesn't keep track of the number of charge cycles to my knowledge but it does monitor them closely; I can see the voltage/temp of each cell block.

The controller is very easy to remove, I have done so a few times before, takes about 5 minutes or so. I plan on getting it looked at but I'm having a hard time finding a place local. I've just been told through another source that the encoder on the motor might be failing. I will check that next.

Thank you for all the responses.(y)
The first thing I would do - I'm not an electronic guy - is carefully examine the inside of the controller - you are looking for signs that something has burnt out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts