DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group: This is my first post in the forum,I have a DC motor from a bow thruster,measure 9" have 4 brushes and the tag say 13.5hp 24v and weight 150lb,is this motor good for a conversion? please help me and excuse my poor redaction(English is not my first language)

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
The voltage is very low. You can run a motor at higher volts, but without knowing a brand, type of DC motor, brushing advancement, it's hard to say if it's safe to over-volt it as-is.

However, the power is there. Also, can you show the end? I don't see a drive shaft. Motors with a female reciever rather than a male shaft are notoriously difficult to couple.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Hello group: This is my first post in the forum,I have a DC motor from a bow thruster,measure 9" have 4 brushes and the tag say 13.5hp 24v and weight 150lb,is this motor good for a conversion? please help me and excuse my poor redaction(English is not my first language)
Hello raky,

This is a tough one. Those attached pictures are small and a bit on the unclear side. By conversion, I assume you mean to make an EV car. My thoughts are that you should look for a better motor to use. Some of the reasons:

13.5hp and 24V. This means it is rated at around 500 amps. Even for a motor as large as 150 pounds, this is a lot. To me, it indicates an intermittent duty, like on for short time periods and then off for longer periods. And to get this high of a power at a low voltage of 24, it would be wound with few turns and large wire (conductors). Now for an EV conversion, you would likely want to use a much higher voltage battery, possibly around 100V. So in turn, the motor may have too high of a speed. And trouble in the area of controller compatibility.

The photos do not show the business end of the motor, meaning the shaft. It may be difficult to mechanically couple it to a car's transmission or driveline.

There appears to be numerous leads coming from the motor. Many more than normally seen on a forklift motor. Do you know how to connect this motor?

On the other hand, it appears to be a robust machine. It is possible it could work. But I say you will have your work cut out for you. Can you even test it at 6 or 12 volts to see if it is still alive?

Your English is pretty good. Where are you located? It's just nice to know, IMO.

Good luck :)

major

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys,I'm located in Miami FL,this is a Sleipner motor from a boat bowthruster that are siting for a long time in the yard were I work,the shaft is a male shaft with a coupler on it,perfect for this application but if this is not a decent motor for an EV conversion I prefer to get a better one but for sure I cant' spend $1000 on a new one,I try to get a forklift one and went to a forklift shop and ask for an spare used motor but I'm no sure yet what "requirement" I have to ask for (I'm still reading a lot learning what type of motor to look at).My intention is convert a Ford Focus or a similar size of car (I'm looking for a donor)but have to due with a limited budget (around $2000) w/o a donor,any suggestion would to be more than welcome.

thanks for the fast response,great and excellent forum!

Javier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts