DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in ev for a while and now own what I think will make a great conversion.

I have a 74 Karmann Ghia with a bad motor, bad gas tank and body issues that I'm hoping to convert. My plan is to use the EV West kit for its simplicity in installation and then create a diy 18650 based battery system. The design goal is 40-50 miles without killing what little storage space i have available, completely.

I'm here to learn and will probably ask a ton of stupid questions so bear with me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been interested in ev for a while and now own what I think will make a great conversion.

I have a 74 Karmann Ghia with a bad motor, bad gas tank and body issues that I'm hoping to convert. My plan is to use the EV West kit for its simplicity in installation and then create a diy 18650 based battery system. The design goal is 40-50 miles without killing what little storage space i have available, completely.

I'm here to learn and will probably ask a ton of stupid questions so bear with me.
Sounds like a good idea! There are loads of Ghia conversions.

Building your own battery pack will be tough and probably more expensive than just buying a salvaged pack from an OEM vehicle, but if you want a challenge I guess it makes sense.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Sounds like a good idea! There are loads of Ghia conversions.

Building your own battery pack will be tough and probably more expensive than just buying a salvaged pack from an OEM vehicle, but if you want a challenge I guess it makes sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm holding off on my battery decision until I'm at the point where I could actually spin the wheels. I have some rust issues to deal with; rocker panels, 1/4 floor pan, nose, deck lid, rear fenders.

Honestly I haven't see a lot of oem packs here in the Toronto area. And I'm retired and have lots of time to spot weld 18650 cells together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts