DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering converting my Mini I'm building for my girls to be electric car.
Don't know anything about electric cars but start to drive Outlander PHEV. Thinking if I take longer than 7 years to put this mini back on road, government might say no ICE cars have to be all EV....

I will study this site and hopefully come up with good idea!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Welcome! :)

By coincidence, the rear drive unit (motor and transaxle) of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV that you are driving might be a reasonable choice (salvaged from someone else's Outlander, of course) to power the Mini. Even the Outlander PHEV battery modules might be usable. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I have checked my Outlander in my mates' garage lift.
We have checked actual battery pack which is nice width to even fit in a Mini.

We have thoight about fitting front motor with a splined mounting plate to fit Swift Gearbox as I have many sapres. But from the spec of motor, rear motor is more suitable as well as come with diff to fit drive shaft into!
The rear motor is very compact and this is why I thought about it.

I shall look into many peoples' post to learn and consider the conversions.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I have checked my Outlander in my mates' garage lift.
We have checked actual battery pack which is nice width to even fit in a Mini.
The Outlander's pack is unusually narrow, compared to other generally flat under-floor packs, presumably to work with the Outlander's structure.

I haven't seen overall pack dimensions, but it has two 300 mm long modules end-to-end across it so it isn't much wider than 600 mm before the support tabs, and it has five pairs of 180 mm wide modules down it's length so it isn't much more than a metre long.
YUASA LEV40 module (presumably from Outlander PHEV) at Second Life EV Batteries (a salvage and resale business). I wonder if the entire pack might even fit between the frame rails under the cab and box of a compact to mid-sized pickup truck? It would be small in capacity, but it's hard to find any complete pack which would fit between the frame rails of a pickup.

We have thoight about fitting front motor with a splined mounting plate to fit Swift Gearbox as I have many sapres. But from the spec of motor, rear motor is more suitable as well as come with diff to fit drive shaft into!
The rear motor is very compact and this is why I thought about it.
I agree - it makes more sense to use the complete rear drive unit than adapt the front motor to some other transaxle (as long as the gearing works out); this is true even for the pre-2019 Outlander PHEV, in which the front and rear motors have the same power specifications. Other similar rear drive units from AWD hybrids include those from Toyota models (RAV4 and Highlander, and Lexus equivalents), and one of the Honda systems (used in the MDX).

The Mitsubishi i-MiEV drive unit is essentially the same - it may even be the same motor, at least internally, although that's only speculation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum, im also building a classic mini conversion and at the moment using an outlander rear motor/diff.

Theres a lot to take on board with a conversion and i am nowhere near up to speed yet. Have a good look around and dont be afraid to ask questions theres some very knowledgeable people on here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, all this electric is BooDoo to me!

I supply Nissan plant in UK, also battery plant.

So I might ask engineers nicely and pick 1 module at a time!?

In assembly line, they also have Leaf running gear.... I don't think my pocket is big enugh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts