DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Hi i am new here

757 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  remy_martian
Hi am Dennis from the Netherlands and want to introduce myself and drop some questions while i am here :)

I am currently working on a fiat 500 classic restauration. This car was in the first place a project that would be powered with a 2003 Yamaha R1 engine with 160hp. But after I got my new daily driver a mustang Mach-e I changed my plans and want to go for full electric for the Fiat. But I want it also to be a fast car like it would be with the R1 engine. Or at least under 6 sec 0-60 so i can race my Mach-e ;) . Everything will be adapted to that ofcourse suspension, brakes, wheels etc.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Bumper

I want to build it as light as possible. Battery 15 - 20kW 80 or 96cells, wheel size 195/55-13 allready have the minilights with 4x100pcd. I dont want to shift gears so no transmission. i am thinking leaf, outlander rear motor or tesla SDU. Ofcourse the Tesla will be the fastest solution but also the most expensive. Originally the car weighs 500Kg. And has a maximum allowed mass of 850Kg including driver and passenger.

I know it would be easy to reach that goal with a Tesla SDU and a openinverter board, but i hope somebody can tell me if it would be possible with a leaf or outlander motor powered by either a leaf inverter or a prius gen3 inverter controlled by a zobmie VCU.

Greetings Dennis
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,367 Posts
The R1 makes 172HP, iirc. A Leaf should work.

The biggest problem I see here is the weight gain from reinforcing the chassis to take that much power and in adding adequate brakes to stop the car.

Everyone thinks about the go, nobody thinks about the stop.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi The 5VY had 172hp the 5PW 2003 model was the first injection engine and had 164hp. and ofcourse brakes are important but that part i know how to cover.
front and rear will be converted to discs
Helmet Automotive lighting Sports gear Motorcycle helmet Motorcycle accessories

Power is nothing without control. But the main question what would be a good powersource. or combination of different inverter, motor.
I like the outlander rear unit because it it widely available here in the Netherlands it was the best sold PHEV. But i dont know if the stock inverter controlled by CAN bus can deliver enough power. I know the leaf inverter with a openinverter logicboard is capable of 140kW. But these are much higher priced because it is not a very well sold car here. The Prius is also very affordable in parts. But i dont know if the combination Prius Gen3 inverter with openinverter logicboard and outlander RDU wil give good performance.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Anything north of 75kW will give you a 0-100k/hr time of 4 seconds, which is great performance - same as my C5 Z06 back in the day. 50kW puts you in Chevy Bolt EV territory which is a fun ride that will shred tires from a standing start.

This says the Leaf system may be the best choice, and you'd save a lot of money buying an entire donor car. The leaf has an ecosystem that pushes power up from the lowest 80kW variant, iirc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts