DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have just taken ownership of a Zilla 2k HV along with a dual siamese warp 9 and 2 speed powerglide. I'm looking to put down a lot of power, however the highest amperage contactors I seem to be able to find is 500amp. Does this mean I need to have 4 contactors in parrallel or is there 2000amp contactors in existence somewhere?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi folks, I have just taken ownership of a Zilla 2k HV along with a dual siamese warp 9 and 2 speed powerglide. I'm looking to put down a lot of power, however the highest amperage contactors I seem to be able to find is 500amp. Does this mean I need to have 4 contactors in parrallel or is there 2000amp contactors in existence somewhere?
Here you go: https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=407&osCsid=mbksoi0lbidcpig72fuitq36l2

They've got several others, as well. Tyco gigavac conczilla something or other will probably bring up some others.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
329 Posts
I saw those but they are only 500a continuous. The Zilla 2k can do 2k continuous as long as the cooling system is up to it.
You plan on running your vehicle at 2,000 amps continuously? Is this a semi or a train or something? That's an insane amount of power to need continuously. You'd need like 4 Warp 11s to use that continuously.

·
Registered
329 Posts
One other thing - those warp 9s wont take 2k amps continuously. I dont think they'll survive 2k amps intermittently, honestly. Thats a lot for two warp 9s. Theres no sense in building for that if the motors can't take it. That Zilla is rated for 300 volts. At 2,000 Amps you're talking about pushing 800 horsepower continuously, assuming the motors could take it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep you are right, since the Gigavac contactor below can do up to 4000 amps bursts I think it will be more than enough. I will probably be limited the current to about 600 amps for the warp 9's. Above that may lead to premature failure. The Zilla 2k will have loads of head room so it should run nice and cool.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Yep you are right, since the Gigavac contactor below can do up to 4000 amps bursts I think it will be more than enough. I will probably be limited the current to about 600 amps for the warp 9's. Above that may lead to premature failure. The Zilla 2k will have loads of head room so it should run nice and cool.
A few things:

1. I don't know where EVWest gets off rating the GV200 at 4000A even for bursts. The official datasheet cuts off at 2000A and it's only rated for 15 seconds at that load. Probably a little less than you want. I would instead go with the Gigavac GX16 which can do 2000A for 40 seconds and 3000 for ten. In that case the motor will certainly be your limiting factor.

2. The "PA" option on the GV200 from EVWest signifies the need for an external economizer. A few controllers have those but I don't think the Zilla does. Double check, but regardless of which Gigavac model you get you will probably want the "BA" option, which is 12V coil with built in economizer.

3. Gigavac sells directly from their website, even to us little people. If you go there you can get exactly the one you need, without the third party markup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few things:

1. I don't know where EVWest gets off rating the GV200 at 4000A even for bursts. The official datasheet cuts off at 2000A and it's only rated for 15 seconds at that load. Probably a little less than you want. I would instead go with the Gigavac GX16 which can do 2000A for 40 seconds and 3000 for ten. In that case the motor will certainly be your limiting factor.

2. The "PA" option on the GV200 from EVWest signifies the need for an external economizer. A few controllers have those but I don't think the Zilla does. Double check, but regardless of which Gigavac model you get you will probably want the "BA" option, which is 12V coil with built in economizer.

3. Gigavac sells directly from their website, even to us little people. If you go there you can get exactly the one you need, without the third party markup.
You a gentleman and a scholar, thanks i'll check out the GX16 now!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You a gentleman and a scholar, thanks i'll check out the GX16 now!
One last thing: I forgot that the GX16, unlike the smaller models, does not have flying leads which is what the "A" in "GX16BA" signifies. Instead it has a Deutsch connector so the full part number is GX16BE.

If you wanted auxiliary contacts, which you can use to monitor the physical state of the contactor, then you would get "GX16BEB"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One last thing: I forgot that the GX16, unlike the smaller models, does not have flying leads which is what the "A" in "GX16BA" signifies. Instead it has a Deutsch connector so the full part number is GX16BE.

If you wanted auxiliary contacts, which you can use to monitor the physical state of the contactor, then you would get "GX16BEB"
Cheers for that, I'm in Australia so the direct purchase is only available for US customers, however we do have a distributor here so i'll see if he can get me some.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Cheers for that, I'm in Australia so the direct purchase is only available for US customers, however we do have a distributor here so i'll see if he can get me some.
I highly recommend the auxiliary contacts by the way - it's good to know if you've welded a contactor before you proceed to the next step.

Where are you based by the way? I'm in Perth - we have a pretty solid converter scene over here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I highly recommend the auxiliary contacts by the way - it's good to know if you've welded a contactor before you proceed to the next step.

Where are you based by the way? I'm in Perth - we have a pretty solid converter scene over here.
Well there you go, I'm in Margaret River WA. Here is the project - www.cel28ev.com.au

I pretty much have all parts just getting gown to these smaller bits and bobs like contactors, fuses etc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Awesome. I had a 74 Toyota Crown. Awesome car.

Well if you find yourself in Perth on the 27th you should drop in to my place for a chat. If you're a member of the AEVA you would have got an invite anyway.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely, would be awesome to have someone within reach who is experienced. I have a lot of experience in cars and solar power but no EV experience so it's a learning experience I am already enjoying.

·
Registered
511 Posts
How are you going to wire the motors, series or parallel or will you do switching?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How are you going to wire the motors, series or parallel or will you do switching?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Series parallel switching was the main reason for lashing out on the Zilla 2k. Time for me to start looking into wiring it up since the Zilla has only 1 motor output there must be some clever electrical switching behind it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts