DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m planning tu use two large performance motors in my transformation. It means a discharge peak power of 800 kw.

someone knows if the here is any battery of ado not car that could support it?

which is the maximum discharge rate of Bolt battery and the model3????

Thanks for sharing knowledge!

·
Registered
160 Posts
We don't have much info on Bolt batteries.
Generally, for high power outputs, people go for multiple Volt packs in parallel. Teslonda uses a single pack and outputs 1200A; Jon Volk's E30 with LDU uses two packs.
If you got two or three Volt packs, you should be fine with that much power; of course you can add more for better range.
It will be difficult to fit two LDU's and two Volt packs into a 996. Might I suggest one SDU and one LDU, as Tesla does? Then you can use the remaining frunk space for one Volt pack and the rear seats for the other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We will create two batteries (frunk and rear seats) working in parallel.
You told 1200A, but 1200A at 400V is only 300 kw isn’t it? I need to satisfy 800kw that means 3200A, and not know which battery will asume this power requirement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have not seen the official spec for Volt batteries. However, as I stated above, Teslonda runs one pack at up to 1200A without trouble. So add as many as you need to reach the power output you want.
Two LDU's will not fit well in a 996 at all, especially with two or more Volt packs. So I advise that you step down the motors a bit. One SDU and one LDU will still push the limits of the 996 traction, while leaving more space in the front end for the other EV components.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
We will create two batteries (frunk and rear seats) working in parallel.
Any drive unit (but particularly a large one) plus a battery pack plus all the other stuff in the front of the car (steering, brake master cylinder, etc) seems like an unreasonable expectation. Look under the front hood of a much larger Tesla; there's a trunk instead of a battery, but it's not big.

Giving up the rear seat for a battery pack seems like a good idea in a 911 body trying to carry a substantial amount of battery.

You told 1200A, but 1200A at 400V is only 300 kw isn’t it?
Power = voltage x current
so 1200 A @ 400 V is 480 kW

And of course 400 volts is a typical maximum possible voltage for an EV pack, allowing charging from the industry-standard fast DC charging systems; the nominal voltage of a typical 96S pack is 360 volts, with actual voltage varying with the state of charge above and below that. If you assume 400 volts, and use a 96S configuration, you will never quite have 400 volts available, and will have much less at a low state of charge.

No stock production battery pack is designed for 800 kW. The usual assumption of people building modified vehicles is that the battery can be pushed to higher discharge rates (probably at a higher risk of failure or a shorter cycle life), but the only reasonable hope would be to use a huge battery (certainly at least 100 kWh of capacity). The Volt battery is rated by GM for 120 kW output for up to 10 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi,
I’m planning tu use two large performance motors in my transformation. It means a discharge peak power of 800 kw.
This spec is completely meaningless. I could give you that much power with a D-cell for an attosecond.

Show us your planned power vs time plot and duty cycle over ten minutes spec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts