DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on converting a sport bike to electric. I have found that high capacity, hight powered batteries are very expensive and that I can buy the equipment and cells for not too much more and build it myself. The main investment would be buying the spot welder in order to use copper tabs. After that initial equipment investment, I have thought about opening a side business since I believe I could create these batteries under the current market price. I was wondering if anyone here knows if there is a market large enough for custom lithium battery packs for it to be worth it. Please let me know if I over looked something or forgot to factor something in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Can 2011 Nissan Batteries be used here? I am looking for possible at a Bike conversion myself?
For sure you can. But it won't be high performance. I think they are good for about 3C and are fairly bulky, but they will certainly move you down the road.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For sure you can. But it won't be high performance. I think they are good for about 3C and are fairly bulky, but they will certainly move you down the road.
2011 Leaf modules are made out of 33Ah cells which some sources claim are rated to 5C. Now for comparison, Zero Motorcycles uses 32Ah Farasis cells starting with 2018 models. Their typical configuration is 28S3P. No discharge data for those cells, but 2014 models were using 25Ah version of the cell from the same manufacturer rated to 4C.

Size wise, 32Ah Farasis cell is 160mm ⨉ 230mm ⨉ 6mm
Leaf 33Ah cell is 290 mm x 216 mm x 7.1mm

So yes, somewhat bulkier. I'd say one probably would want to rip out the pouches from the aluminum modules and repackage them into a different enclosure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts