DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...!!!
Can anyone please help me find a high performance electric motor ?
I am looking something that has these specs...

Continuous Torque: >75Nm
Continuous Power: >30kW
Motor Speed: >6000rpm
Voltage: >150VDC
Weight:<10kg(22lbs)
Cost: (low is prefered, but no restriction as such)
any help or any reference is welcome

Thanks in advance...!!!

· Registered
110 Posts
Hi there welcome to this forum

There are other members with better motor knowledge than me but a cursory look at your requirements make me suspect that you will be unable to find a motor with these power requirements that weighs only 10 kg I would expect such a motor to weigh around 50kg and it does seem that power output is intimately tied to the motors mass regardless of the type of motor. Also if greater than 6000rpm is required a brushed DC motor will also not fit the bill either as these seem to be rated to have a max rpm of 5000-6000 rpm and you may need to consider an AC, BLDC, or permanent magnet motor.

Hope this helps
David

· Registered
2,217 Posts
Hello...!!!
Can anyone please help me find a high performance electric motor ?
I am looking something that has these specs...

Continuous Torque: >75Nm
Continuous Power: >30kW
Motor Speed: >6000rpm
Voltage: >150VDC
Weight:<10kg(22lbs)
Cost: (low is prefered, but no restriction as such)
any help or any reference is welcome

Thanks in advance...!!!
I wanted to break this down a little so you can see the problems and have a realistic picture.

75 Nm of torque at 6000 rpm is 47 kW of power. So a 30 kW motor will either be going less than 6000 rpm at its continuous power point or it will be making less than 75 Nm at its continuous power point. The peak power could easily exceed your desired level as most motors can be forced to make many times their rated power for seconds and several times their continuous power for minutes.

Realistically, your weight need is off by about a factor of 10. A big 11 inch motor may be rated for 30 kW of continuous power, but will weigh closer to 100 kg. This would be a big EV motor, larger than most commonly used EV motors. The WarP 9 inch series wound DC motor is rated for around 32 horsepower continuous, the exact amount varies some depending on voltage and timing. It weighs 156 lb.

Motors this size don't tend to rev very high. Most would not recommend taking a large 11 inch motor over about 5000 rpm. You may have to go with an AC motor and variable frequency inverter to pull 6000+ rpm in a motor with a continuous rating of 30 kW. That will up the budget a lot and still not be nearly as light as you wanted.

· Registered
24 Posts
If yer dedicated to it seriously enough; research the subject thoroughly and build yer own. There are endless designs for brushless DC motors out there. Some of them with really terrific efficiency figures and light weight. Some with very high RPM capability. Some with more power density than we normally consider possible. (like those with neo magnets)
I started playing with motors as a kid, (round 35 years ago) building simple versions. Now I'm experimenting with neodymium mags and coils in various configurations. Goal is a high efficiency motor for my one ton truck. I usually use photo interrupters for coil pulse timing, greater precision than hall effect device. The most efficient designs are using PM to PM, or PM to steel attraction for motor power and a coil to cancel attraction. quite a few different configurations of it. Of course to buy enough neo magnets to make an EV motor might cost a bit. Count up cost and time and u may think it's not worth it. But another advantage is using the coil timing part for a speed controller.

After all. Its fun and rewarding to build them. However for awhile I can't do much. I'll be busy driving a semi to make a livin, headin across the country again in the mornin. Makin more money than I ever made before but no time at home. (we started our own truckin company, hauling cars every which way all over the place)

· Registered
210 Posts
Hmm, sounds like an AC motor to me. Check out Metric Minds and see what they have. Oh, but be sure to check the prices, too. :) Their stuff is very good, but also pricey (you didn't mention a budget). You will also need liquid cooling for the motor and controller, since this will be generating a lot of heat.

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.